Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi-temp silver cylinder paint

Hi...

Was tipped off on another thread that the correct finish for the cylinders on a 65 FLH is painting them "hi-temp silver".

Is there a current source for the paint, or a close facsimile?

In the alternative, I might be able to get some made up if I had a paint code, as we have a local auto paint shop that claims they can make or match any color.

Thanks in advance for any info!

John
    Ride it like you can fix it!

Buy a spray can of it from your Harley dealer.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

the harley part # is 98660-78 . almost $20 per can. This is the correct paint for your cylinders.

Comment

COOL... thank you!

John

Comment

Don't use the HD spray paint, it will only look good for 1 season. It doesn't hold up to gas or heat at all. We use imron paint on our cylinders, it holds up to gas and heat and looks good for a long time.
          A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew N. Olse View Post
            Don't use the HD spray paint, it will only look good for 1 season. It doesn't hold up to gas or heat at all. We use imron paint on our cylinders, it holds up to gas and heat and looks good for a long time.
            Too bad we can't buy Imron in CA.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Assuming I can get the Imron, what color or color code is closest to the HD hi-temp silver?

John

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew N. Olse View Post
                I could not disagree more with this post. I have had nothing but great results from this H-D paint. I have found it to be very resistant to heat and gasoline. You must be mistaking this for something else.

Comment

i've had really good luck with it too but i sit the cylinder on an open coil type hot plate upside down first the turn it over and paint it while it is still very warm and finish with a heat gun until it looks sort of semi gloss then turn off the burner and let it cool completely with it still on the burner. i do the wrinkle black on evo and twin cam cyls the same way using the harley paint. of course you have to get all the oil and old paint off it first. i do the final cleaning with PJ-1 aerosol parts cleaner. i think it is mostly alcohol. still running a 63 panhead i did 15 years ago that way and still no peeling or gas stains

Comment

Glad to hear some have had good results with the HD paint. My cylinders have been degreased, washed, glass beaded, and washed again, so they should be nice and clean, and I had planned to "bake" the paint in a warm oven between coats, so hoping for a good result.

Comment

Originally posted by rousseau View Post
                      I could not disagree more with this post. I have had nothing but great results from this H-D paint. I have found it to be very resistant to heat and gasoline. You must be mistaking this for something else.

I am not mistaking it for something else. I have never had good luck wih this paint, maybe we were applying it incorrectly. The last bike that we used this paint on was my dad's 48, and the cylinders are the worst part of the bike, I have to touch them up every riding season.
                      A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                        Buy a spray can of it from your Harley dealer.
                        K...need to keep this discussion please. Called my local dealer here in Santa Klaus county and they said they can only sell touch up cylinder paint and are not permitted to sell the stuff in spray paint cans. And since we also cannot get the paint that Matt recommends, what is another alternative/ best of worst case solution?

My machinist will be done honing my cylinders next week so I would like to be able to use the silver to paint them and the pump body.

God I hate these kommies here and all their global warming ****!

Comment

Panz, your solution is to have someone ship you the paint from a State that still allows it. I'd be happy to do that for you, if possible.

Comment

It is possible. UPS it it as flamable. Costs are higher but he will get it. Paps

Comment

Although aerosols aren't the best thing for the environment, the restrictions on rattlecans are most often an attempt to legislate against graffiti and "huffing".

Legislating better education would make too much sense.

Personally, I appreciate good graffiti, more than custom motorcycle paint jobs, anyway.

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X