1910 Minneapolis two-speed, single, battery ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1910 Minneapolis two-speed, single, battery ignition

I am seeking assistance for cleaning a Thor (Aurora Automatic Machine Co.) carburetor on a 1910 Minneapolis two-speed, single, battery ignition. Does anyone have an exploded drawing of the carburetor? It is gummed up after thirty years in storage. Also interested in information regarding the two-speed transmission. Seems there may be a seal leaking oil.

Les

Wow! Sounds like another Minneapolis is about to come to life! I'm assuming your machine looks similar to this one? Does it have the same carb as your machine?

The above picture came from this site.... http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...a%3DN%26um%3D1 there's some great stuff on here! Some of it may be helpful to you.

I was trying to figure out what the Thor carb for 1910 looked like. I have a couple of diagrams that do not designate a make. I'll see if I can dig them out tomorrow. I do know that some of the early diagrams were very basic as I guess the equipment was. If a person could get a patent copy that would probably provide the most detail.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

My 1910 Minneapolis

Thank you for your reply. The photo shown in your message is an actual original 1910 photo of my 1910 Minneapolis taken by the original owner on the day that it was purchased. I have several different photos of the cycle. They include the cycle with the original owner, his father, and photos of both sides of the cycle. I shared this photo with Ky Michaelson a few years ago and he put the photo on his website. I purchased the cycle from the original owner in 1968 after years of being stored in his basement. I got it running and rode it in local parades and in local vintage vehicle functions through 1978 and stored it for tinkering during retirement. The cycle was purchased new in 1910 from "Charles Koehring & Brother" hardware in Indianapolis the local Minneapolis representative. I'm now attempting to "bring it to life" again. It starts but the carburetor is gummed up and needs to be taken apart. A diagram or drawing would be greatly appreciated. The carburetor sets in front of the engine.

The two-speed transmission is located in a separate case from the engine crankcase and leaks oil on the left side probably due to a faulty seal. That's another challenge!

Comment

Well isn't that something? What are the odds I'd post a picture of your bike? At any rate that's a very impressive machine you have there Les. I went digging for carb diagrams and found nothing on a Thor carb. I did find two diagrams for a Hedstrom carb. This is just an assumption as I have never seen a Thor carb in person but I would assume that the early Indian and Thor carbs were probably the same........ like I said just an assumption. In fact these diagrams may do you no good whatsoever but I figured it was worth a shot. Now that I look at them though compared to the picture of your machine, I can see that the intake is definitely different... maybe this Hedstrom variety is earlier vintage than the diagram you are requesting???

Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Thor Carb

Hi Les
          Very nice bike
          I have a 1911 Thor - but the Carb is missing - I was going to use the Hedstrom until I can find the correct one.

The Thor & Hedstrom carbs were extremely similar - I've got a picture of a Thor with correct Carb that was sold by Bator Int'ntl last year if that helps...
          Regards
          Steve

Comment

thor carb

actually i just purchased an early thor carb ,for a little racer i am building,they are quite different than the hedstrom. it is complete but cut off where the intake mounts.i'll post a picture of mine ,can you post a picture of yours?
            www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Thor Carb

It may take a day or two, but I will post a photo of the 1910 Thor carburetor. I have a 1908 Indian with the original carb as reference and the Hedstrom carb is similar but not at all the same. Actually, I really just need to take the Thor carb apart for cleaning. The very bottom portion comes off okay, but I'm at a loss as to how to remove the top portion for cleaning. Don't want to do the wrong thing. Would find it hard to replace.......

Les

Comment

Not the same eh? Good to know. I'd be interested in figuring out the differences as well...
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

1910 Thor Carburetor

This is the Thor carburetor on my 1910 Minneapolis.

Les
                  Attached Files

Comment

1910 Thor Motor

This is the Thor motor that is on my 1910 Minneapolis.

Les
                    Attached Files

Comment

1910 Minneapolis,Two-Speed, Battery Ignition

This is a photo of my 1910 Minneapolis, Two-Speed, battery, ignition, taken a month ago.

Les
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's one great "time machine" you have there Les. Looks like there's several grins per mile in that machine!!!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Les, that is a fantastic motorcycle you have. I have always thought the Minneapolis/Michaelson brands were among the most beautiful early motorcycles. As I have said before, these are the gems of our hobby and I wish we could have more members talk and post pictures of the early motorcycles and the great stories that go with them.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

les ,my carb is a little different than yours ,but i thought the intake mounted to the carb .in your picture it looks like the intake is part of the carb body?if i were you ,i'd take it off at the intake nut on the valve pocket tower,and then soak the whole thing for a while..the bowl ,should just unscrew from the body.that is one beautiful bike,not really a rebadged thor either.those michealson guys were totally into two speeds.i bet Ky would love to own that piece. ,are you putting anything on the paint for preservation?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X