oley judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oley judging

woo whoo one week has past. no gripes everyone who had a bike judged please add 1 point to your score card.
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

judging

the harley crew took over 45 min on their 1st 1947 blue knuckle 3 of them i thought 20 minutes was the benchmark long long day

Comment

If I was to ever have a bike judged (I've been refused so far...)
      it would be for the sole purpose of finding out what was "wrong", not to fool the judges and increase the value of my fake.

I should be so lucky if they take too long!

But that ain't gonna happen soon.

...Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

they spent over an hour on my '48 Chief the first time through, and i was very happy with the results. i had 5 judges checking over the bike the day i rolled it out of the truck on friday before the show. the more time they spend, the better the bike, as they are trying to find incorrect items. when everyone is talking about your bike, and people are taking pictures for reference, you know you did something right!!

just my .02 worth.
        CHIEFJ48
        MEMBER #2786

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

I just assumed that the blue '47 knuck was a first time showing and warranted the extra time.

I think the judges did very well considering the large field to be examined and that they were short of judges. Kudos, guys....

Rob, I'll take that extra "bonus" point and maybe I will get another for brown nosing.........ya think?
          Wayne #4329
          The not so new now, newbie.

Comment

I judged 12 bikes at Oley in 4 hours, so I guess that averages 20 minutes each. But we were short of judges, so I had to find something to say about three low mileage early 1970s two strokes. At least they were Harleys - I've had to fill in on Pope, Flying Merkel, Cushman, Moto Guzzi, Zundapp etc. in the past. Does anyone else agonize about oddball bikes slipping through the cracks and wrongly getting the AMCA seal of approval through underqualified judging? Owners know this is worth money, and we're facing an explosion of model types as bikes from the late 1970s become 35 years old.

Comment

oley judging

the 47 blue knuck was ridden form philly area it was the 2nd judging previous 97 pt lost 2 1/2 in the process

Comment

Steve I saw the two 70s Penton Dirt bikes at the end of the row. Do you have people with judging experience with these? That Knuklehead was beautiful and deserved every minute of attention it was given. What a wounderful Sunday morning! Bob L
                AMCA #3149
                http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                  If I was to ever have a bike judged (I've been refused so far...)
                  it would be for the sole purpose of finding out what was "wrong", not to fool the judges and increase the value of my fake.

I should be so lucky if they take too long!

But that ain't gonna happen soon.

...Cotten
                  My thoughts, purpose as well. Refused? How does that happen? Hope my second question isn't scratching at an open wound
                  Ray
                  AMCA #7140

Comment

I tried once to have a bike judged at Oley in the early 1990's.
                    I was told at the gathering to give the awards out that my bike didn't get anything, and that they ran out of judging sheets, so I couldn't even find out what was right or wrong. And they brushed me off when I tried to ask how this could be! Trust me when I tell you that the bike was pretty good and pretty correct - not perfect, but not bad either. I still have that 63 year old Harley, and it's still not bad! And this wasn't a group of hack judges. Doc Patt was among them if I remember correctly.
                    It left such a sour taste in my mouth that I have not dared try to get another bike judged in the time since. Being a member of the club is one of the things I am most proud of, and is most important to me. Been a member a long time.
                    Bike judging though, is something that I still can't shake the feeling about that the elitists that brushed me off back then are still there, and are gonna do it again if I ever dare to enter a bike in their show. Just my 1.5 cents.

Jim

Took me almost 20 years to vent about that incident. Kinda feel better now...
                    Last edited by jupiter2; 06-11-2009, 02:11 PM. Reason: Just wanted to add...
                    Jim
                    AMCA #466

Comment

A motorcycling club should be about riding motorcycles. The people who take judging to its nth degree and treat it as the be all and end all should consider taking up stamp collecting instead. A motorcycling club should be much more than just a collectors club or a business to make money.

We don't have any of the AMCA's issues in the UK VMCC probably because an unconscious decision was taken many years ago not to adopt the points style judging system much loved by the elitist car collectors clubs and look at the internal arguments they get into !! On the majority of Club runs where there are awards, the awards are decided by a ballot system amongst the riders themselves. As most riders aren't complete novices and know what they are looking at (and there are far more variety of machines used on VMCC runs than on the narrow spectrum of the AMCA events) its a fair system which isn't open to criticism or abuse. Receiving the recognition of your peers for a bike well done is in some respects far more valuable than a piece of paper containing what for many it seems is criticism rather than constructive comments.

Keep it simple and keep on riding !!
                      Last edited by Smarty; 06-12-2009, 04:30 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Martin,
                        I guess it was that sort of thinking that caused the Pilgrims to leave the UK and relocate here.
                        Motorcycles can't be judged for correctness by "Peoples Choice". It has to be done by a team of judges that know what they are looking for and not which one is prettiest.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Smarty View Post
                          A motorcycling club should be about riding motorcycles.
                          A motorcycling club should be much more than just a collectors club or a business to make money.
                          Hear, hear!

However - - - I view the judging system as a means by which the motorcycle owner can gain valuable information as to the accuracy of his restoration efforts. There are varying degrees of restoration, in my view, as well. There are also 'riders' and there are 'collectors'. There are also 'riders who collect' and 'collectors who ride'. It's so distinctly simple and convoluted at the same time, as we can expect whenever humans are involved.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                            Hear, hear!

However - - - I view the judging system as a means by which the motorcycle owner can gain valuable information as to the accuracy of his restoration efforts. There are varying degrees of restoration, in my view, as well. There are also 'riders' and there are 'collectors'. There are also 'riders who collect' and 'collectors who ride'. It's so distinctly simple and convoluted at the same time, as we can expect whenever humans are involved.....

Rooster,

You nailed it square on the head,especially when we humans are involved
                            Chuck
                            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Triple DITTO on the last three replies. Paps

Comment

Working...
                              X