knuckle shovel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knuckle shovel

I have a 1946 knuckle custom. It has a shovel top end on it and I want to put it back to a knuckle. I have nice knuckleheads for it, but thats all so far. Can anybody tell me what was standard procedure "back in day" to put shovelheads on a knuckle? What all will I have to change beside the heads,barrels,lifter blocks. Cam? pushrods? It has the stock cam cover. THANKS!!!

Originally posted by thunderoad View Post
    I have a 1946 knuckle custom. It has a shovel top end on it and I want to put it back to a knuckle. I have nice knuckleheads for it, but thats all so far. Can anybody tell me what was standard procedure "back in day" to put shovelheads on a knuckle? What all will I have to change beside the heads,barrels,lifter blocks. Cam? pushrods? It has the stock cam cover. THANKS!!!
    Pistons, intake manifold, oil lines, cam followers, pipes.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Gee Thanks!

Thank you for your typical jerk answer! I had no idea I would have to change the intake manifold (LOL) I really was most interested in the cam situation. Please dont bother next time! I remember you! 20 years ago you almost burned me out on old bikes alltogether. When I was young. Good job on trying to take all all the fun out of old scooters! Hope you dont have a big problem with my spelling, cause that would really crush me!! Thanks for your eloquent reply. Ron

Comment

Chris!

You left out the top motormount and throttlecable bracket...

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Also make sure that the original crankcase breather valve in the cam case was retained - it has a 3/8" hole drilled into the side of the breather just inboard of the drive gear. Later breather valves don't have this hole. Palmer shows the correct breather valve on page 174.
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

I am watching here with a certain amount of interest, as I have a knuck/pan chopper, which is a 41EL with a panhead top end married onto it. I have entertained the thought of converting it back to the knucklhead it was born as, but so far it is just a pipe dream.
            It has a panhead cam in it, and as I remember, the outside cam follower (front intake) only rides on half the cam lobe. It's certainly not ideal, but hasn't failed on me yet. I doubt I will ever change it back.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
              Chris!

You left out the top motormount and throttlecable bracket...

....Cotten
              Cotten,
              Please no jerk answers.
              Be sure to visit;

Comment

Thank you for your typical jerk answer! I had no idea I would have to change the intake manifold (LOL) I really was most interested in the cam situation. Please dont bother next time! I remember you! 20 years ago you almost burned me out on old bikes alltogether. When I was young. Good job on trying to take all all the fun out of old scooters! Hope you dont have a big problem with my spelling, cause that would really crush me!! Thanks for your eloquent reply. Ron
                Well Ron,
                If you don't consider this a jerk answer, you will have to install a Knuck cam, lifters and lifter blocks. But being as you stated, "What all will I have to change beside the heads,barrels,lifter blocks. Cam? pushrods?" I had, I guess incorrectly, assumed that you already had that information.
                Next time if you have a specific question, ask it.
                Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                  I am watching here with a certain amount of interest, as I have a knuck/pan chopper, which is a 41EL with a panhead top end married onto it. I have entertained the thought of converting it back to the knucklhead it was born as, but so far it is just a pipe dream.
                  It has a panhead cam in it, and as I remember, the outside cam follower (front intake) only rides on half the cam lobe. It's certainly not ideal, but hasn't failed on me yet. I doubt I will ever change it back.
                  Rooster - how did they do the oil return? Or are you running later heads with outside oilers?
                  Ralph

Comment

Ron,
                    Do you still have a Knuckle right case? I have seen several Frankenstein motors with Knuckle left cases mated to Pan right with either Pan or Shovel top ends.
                    Robbie
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by dommi7 View Post
                      Rooster - how did they do the oil return? Or are you running later heads with outside oilers?
                      You mean 'return' or 'feed'? The panhead cylinders were drilled and tapped into the oil feed passageways, and a stainless oil line fabricated with a 'T' in it, from the oil feed fitting on rear of the timing cover. Oil returns down thru heads/cylinders and pushrods as usual.
                      Here's a photo of the oil line.

Last edited by Rooster; 04-22-2009, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Hey, don't let him get under your skin. I know (Very Knowledgeable) people who have Refused to be on an AMCA Judging team with Mr. Haynes because of his Holier-Than-Thou attitude. Can you say 'Napoleon Complex'?
                        http://laughingindian.com/
                        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                        A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Chris, Ok thanks for your help. I take it all back. Ron

Comment

Thanks for the tip Robbie I will look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by indianut View Post
                              Hey, don't let him get under your skin. I know (Very Knowledgeable) people who have Refused to be on an AMCA Judging team with Mr. Haynes because of his Holier-Than-Thou attitude. Can you say 'Napoleon Complex'?
                              Thanks for your words of support. I dont think that was necessary on my part. Next time I will just focus on technical stuff. Thanks again,Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X