HELP - Rear Stand Question For Harley JD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - Rear Stand Question For Harley JD

I have owned this 1924 Harley JDCA for years but never really gave it the atention it deserves.

I have a question (actually a lot but I'll start with one) about the rear stand. I believe it is the correct original one but question why is sticks out so far to the right.

The stand holds the bike steady when down and is pretty much out of the way when up. But it sticks out far to the right. Is this correct, and if not, what's the best way to fix it with out damaging anything?
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

I never had a J model but my VL rear stand has to clear the exhaust on the right side, maybe thats why it's wider on the right. Got any pictures?
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Buzz the right hand side stand corner brace appears to be bent so over time if the bike has been started on the stand the stand could have bent and the centreline moved over to the left hand side, thereby giving the appearance that you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by Smarty View Post
        Buzz the right hand side stand corner brace appears to be bent so over time if the bike has been started on the stand the stand could have bent and the centreline moved over to the left hand side, thereby giving the appearance that you describe.
        Good eyes!

Any suggestion of how to improve this or should I just leave it alone and not risk buggering anything?
        Buzz Kanter

Comment

Buzz
          The centre rivit in the base of the stand corresponds with the centre of the tyre.
          It looks like someone has put a new tailpipe on the muffler and then bent the stand to clear the tailpipe.
          The original tailpipe took a set in towards the spokes at the front edge of the tyre and then just behind the rim takes a set in the opposite direction to run parallel with the wheel and finish just in front of the brake arm.
          Everything runs pretty close and this description is not exact but enough to give you the general idea.
          If you want I could take a tracing of an original one and send it to you.
          Tommo
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

That's a home made exhaust pipe. The original didn't go back that far and certainly didn't run inside of the rear stand. Also the diameter looks too big. The rear stand, as viewed from the rear should be symmetrical.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Like Tommo said.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                Buzz
                The centre rivit in the base of the stand corresponds with the centre of the tyre.
                It looks like someone has put a new tailpipe on the muffler and then bent the stand to clear the tailpipe.
                The original tailpipe took a set in towards the spokes at the front edge of the tyre and then just behind the rim takes a set in the opposite direction to run parallel with the wheel and finish just in front of the brake arm.
                Everything runs pretty close and this description is not exact but enough to give you the general idea.
                If you want I could take a tracing of an original one and send it to you.
                Tommo
                Thanks for the info. Does this apply to the one-year-only 1924 exhaust with the shoebox looking muffler?
                Buzz Kanter

Comment

Buzz,
                  The short answer is yes the 1924 tailpipe is different from the earlier ones but only very slightly. The bends are not quite as pronounced and it is ever so slightly shorter.
                  The end of the pipe finishes in line with the rear fork casting where the chain adjusters screw in and should be positioned so the top run of the pipe is level with the bottom edge of the brake drum.
                  I suspect someone put that longer pipe on to prevent the rear brake from getting oiled up.
                  Once these old girls have done a few miles and start using a bit of oil the rear brake tends to be the recipient of this and as a consequence braking efficiency suffers.
                  If you've got a copy of the "Schiffer Automotive Series" book "Harley-Davidson single and twin motorcycles, 1918-78" go to page 13 and you'll find a good photo there.
                  The tailpipe also should have 10 or 12 slots cut in it at the outlet end. I say 10 or 12 because I'm inside and didn't count the slots before I started this reply. Sorry about that but if it's important just ask and I'll get the correct number.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Tommo
                  Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777
                  Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                  X