Pre-war narrow clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-war narrow clutch

Does anyone know if the narrow clutch is being reproduced? My clutch in my '39 is about shot... I have considered putting a later clutch on it, but then I would have to go to the later primary covers as well. I would rather retain the original as much as possible.
    Thanks!

If your bike isn't a hotrod, take out one steel and one disc and shorten the studs. Then a late model one will fit in their. Done it a couple of times.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks Jerry, I may have to go that route.

Comment

Jerry's right, I have also seen that done and it works great!
        Lonnie Campbell #9908
        South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

We put on BDL belt drives with a modified Competitor Clutch. Never any maintenance and the belts last forever, plus you can turn your chain oiler off and no spots in the garage. I have numerous setups like this on my early bikes, with over 16,000 miles on my 39, I love the system. We also have a special belt drive made exclusively for us that gears up the motor and the clutch so you can run the stock 22 tooth trans sprocket for a proper reading speedometer and more adjustment on your transmission so you can run your belt at the proper tension.
          Carl
          http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Olsen View Post
            We put on BDL belt drives with a modified Competitor Clutch.
            Carl
            I love the reliability (and quiet) of a belt drive, but wouldn't I have to go to a later primary cover for the wider width?

Comment

The later cover is only wider in the clutch area, the rest is the same!
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                The later cover is only wider in the clutch area, the rest is the same!
                Robbie
                I have a later cover. Problem is that purist can spot the later cover 50 feet away. If I could find a belt drive that could fit under the early cover, I'd run it.

Comment

If you shorten the studs as Jerry suggested you can use any 1 1/2 wide belt drive. Carl is using the pre41 covers with his set up. The competitor clutch is a little spendy but works well.
                  Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I'm running a 1½" belt in my narrow cover too, but had to cut down the clutch basket aswell, i'm i doing anything wrong?? Villy

Comment

knu3,
                      It actually sounds about right. If you have no clearance problems and your clutch functions well you are good!
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rub,

A friend of mine cut down his clutch basket and shortened the studs to use on his '40 with the narrow primary cover with 1-1/2 belt drive. He ended converting it back to chain drive at the buyer's request and gave me the shortened clutch basket. I installed in on my '50, installed the correct clutches and plates and ran it - it is still on the bike.

Lonnie C.
                        Lonnie Campbell #9908
                        South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

I ran across this old thread while looking for posts about the early narrow primary covers and it got me thinking about going with a 1-1/2” BDL belt drive and later clutch for my 39 project. I too want to run the narrow primary cover. It’s mentioned in the prior posts that cutting down the clutch basket may be required. Would that be the outside edge of the basket (in yellow on my attached pic)? If so, how would that be done, on a lathe? And what about the fingers on the inside (in red)? I’d much appreciate a further explanation of this surgery. Bob
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Yep, I’ve done that on 2 of my bikes and it works well. Turn the outer edge you have taped in yellow back to the outer edge of the fingers you have taped in red and cut the 3 clutch hub studs back to the edge of the nuts with 1 plate removed. On 1 of my bikes I even cut the outer edge of the fingers you have taped in red back to the rivet heads to give a little more clearance.
                            Bob Patza

Comment

Gary Bang used to reproduce all of the narrow clutch plates and fibers. I haven't heard if anyone else took that over when he retired from the business.
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                              X