need 6V battery & reg.info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need 6V battery & reg.info

I posted this question on another forum this morning ,but since there seems so much to learn I'm posting it here.I hope this is OK.
    Neil

I'm just going back looking for stuff on 6V batteries,wow, I didn't think there was so much to consider. I'm not going 12V no matter what,at least not in the near future so I'm not interested in any of that info.
    I read about 6V batteries discharging at highway speeds ??? Why is this ?How to prevent it ?
    My generator is a model 58 and I have a new delco regulator.(I'm just building this bike now).
    I read about many 6V batterys being poor,and only harleys battery tender will charge Harleys batteries ,which many said are very poor quality batterys ,then I read about using batteries that run kids toys ,and home depot batterys (I'm not sure what battery that is).
    I want to ride this bike and park my 91 springer,and would like it to be as dependable ,as I ride maybe 5000 miles this year .I read about 6V halgen headlites,led tailites to reduce voltage.Here in Alberta they have a daylite headlite law so it would be on when ever the bike is moving.
    Then I read about using certain regulators ,some were electronic ,so as not to over charge the battery ,some of these batteries were the kids toy ones they were talking about. Then there was the subject about melting the armeratature if the battery goes dead,And then there was questions about gel,and /or Matt batteries (what ever they are)the there was the questions about ....I forget......I'm overloading my own battery with all this stuff to consider. Is there any volumes on this subject I could download ? My computer has only 40 GB so I could probably download one of the sets smaller volumes.
    Neil
    PS hellllp

Originally posted by neilw View Post
    I read about 6V batteries discharging at highway speeds ??? Why is this ?How to prevent it ?
    My generator is a model 58 and I have a new delco regulator.(I'm just building this bike now).
    The concern with 6V discharging is related to a three brush generator. After a certain point output starts to drop off as speed increases (see attached graph courtesy of Yesterday's Tractors). So if you were to run at 60mph with your high beam on, demand exceeds the generator's output and the battery makes up the difference. Do this long enough and you end up with a dead battery. A model 58 is a two brush generator and having a proper external regulator means your output doesn't drop off at higher speeds. Once the generator reaches it's max output it stays there even if you increase speed. You shouldn't need to worry about a dead battery with the setup you have. You have similar output characteristics as a 12V generator would have ... Perry
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 02-24-2009, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks Perry ,I was starting to visualize being stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery and a boost wouldn't help ,Maybe If I'm heading out I'll pack a home depot battery along just for emergencies ,I'll ask about that later in the spring.
      Neil

Comment

Working...
      X