HVLP paint gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVLP paint gun

From my last post on Orange Peel, I realized I may have done several things wrong that may have caused my orange problem problem. I received some good info from you folkes. I think some of my problem is my crappy Harbor Frieght gun. Although I did have a good paing job on the frame. It glossed off nice. It was enemal. this paint I have Orange Peel problems with is metallic paint. Before I repaint I need a better gun. Any suggestions for a good hvlp gun. Thanks Again, Stan

Stan, I use many guns, are you planing on doing a lot more painting? most likely it's not the gun you have, I have cheap guns too, and high dollar ones and I can almost get the same results from the cheap ones as I get from the high end ones, but I've been painting for over 30 years. You may just need to spend more time mixing paint and painting, the HVLP guns aren't as easy to paint with as the old guns where, and the paint tech. is not the same today. If you want a high end gun Bink's makes a good one.
    Mark Wang
    De Soto WI
    AMCA #2079

Comment

I also have used h.b. guns and used to have a couple of binks the binks do offer more precise adjustments but the cheap ones do a good job on what I do I tried a hvlp (a buddys) and it will take me more practice so I never bought one as I am used to the binks style. I also will not paint when the humidity is over 60 unless I have a dehumidifier. I still use 2 air driers (1 large mechanical and a dessacant type also) but the best thing I do is paint my shed wall every time I fill it with paint. I use a touch up gun for frames, fenders and tanks as it gets into them better. make sure you have the correct tips (nozzels) and check your preasure at the end of your hose where you hook up your gun. I never had orange peel but things do go wrong on me also once in a while

Comment

I don't plant do a lot of painting. I took a auto body class about 25 years ago, and about every thing I learned has changed. I painted a couple cars with good success, and several of my motorcycles. All this was with a binks syphon gun. The cup top leaks real bad on my harbor frieght hvlp gun, and makes a mess. This is another reason I am talking my self into getting a new gun. Stan

Comment

My two cents...

The number one cause of orange peel is the paint is too thick. Don't use the recommended reducing recommendations. On acrylic enamel, reduce 4 parts paint to 3 parts reducer. The manufacturer recommends much thicker than that to reduce VOC levels. When painting with the thin paint, be careful to not get too wet of a coat (runs). Your last coat can be fairly heavy.

Another contributing factor for orange peel is using reducer that is rated for warmer weather than what the temp actually is. Use the manufacture's recommendation on this.

Mentioned previously is the humidity... if you must paint when it is humid, use a faster drying reducer.

As for the HVLP vs. traditional, I have and use both. One is the Binks #7 that is about 30 years old. I think it is the best gun ever made, but my Binks MG1 (HVLP) does a nice job as well, especially on the basecoat/clearcoat and modern urathanes. For laquer or enamel, the suction cup gun works the best. I have a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP gun and I have found that it does nearly as well as the MG1, and costs less than 10% of the Binks. That is the way to go unless you are doing it for a living and want a gun to last forever.

Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
          X