new year help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new year help needed

i'm trying to fiqure out how to remove the speedo/ignition housing and tanks from my '70 so i can find some shorts, any help to keep me busy new years day? thanks and have a happy one

First remove dash cover there are 2 bolt under there that hold the tank . 1 bolt by the upper neck bearing and one by the lower neck bearing. That should get the tanks off. You should invest in the factory manual they are worth there wait in gold ecpecially when tracing wire problems. Good luck I am going to head to my garage also and finish installing my ignition.

Comment

Disconnect the battery until you know what you have.
      Mike

Comment

check around the ign switch terminals good as some (but not all) aftermarket switches were a problem I have found a lot of shorts were the switches

Comment

thanks all, after disconnecting the ground, i got the tanks off and have a service manual to trace wires. quite a mess though. someone had too much fun adding wires. one toggle behind the headlight activates a switch on the kickstand that must make the horn occillate on and off if someone stands the bike up! it's the round flasher circuit in the pic. plus i have emergency flashers, is that normal?
          Attached Files

Comment

I looked in the manual, and I don't see any 4 way flasher. I don't think they had emergency flashers until later. On my '72, if you hold both switches, left and right you will get emergency flashers. But I have added the timed unit, so I don't have to hold them to make them work. Yours probably only has one switch, which toggles for both left and right. The wiring is fairly simple on your, and should be reliable once the trailer wiring is elimnated. The ignition switches can be tricky. They can look and feel good, and still not work right. A good one will last a long time, with no problems. I am so sick of the off and on quality of the newer aftermarket switches, that I look only for original ones now for my bikes. Same with speedos and relays.
            Mike

Comment

Working...
            X