X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the first Harley's

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

first pic of the lobby bike?

i remember a while back earl had said that he thought that the bike in this picture {taken around 1918} was the same bike that harley now has.the one they call the 1903 first model.it seems likely,as the factory was actively seeking out these early bikes.if so ,then it would appear that the bike was not actually a pieced together hodgepodge.but started out as a pretty nice example of an early 6 bolt bike.

Comment

Comment

the picture above is a picture of the lobby bike taken in 1963. if this is the same bike as in the 1918 pic,then it has seen alot of "restoration",and looks like it was generally mistreated.and someone took away her tires too! i've spent hours looking at the 2 pictures and it does appear to be the same bike.is there any photos of this bike between the years of 1918 and 1963?

Comment

Lonnie,
          I've got a framed photo of the museum bikes that was taken ,as far as I know, in 1951.
          It was sent to Dad by Bill Ottaway and I have the letter that came with it that is dated 15th June 1951
          It shows what I am sure is the same bike at the head of the line and it has a 1904 date on the front number plate.
          If you like I can have it taken out of the frame and copied for you. Lets know if you want me to do that.
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

hi tommo,i'd love to see the picture,can you post it? thanks ,lonnie

Comment

Good winter topic!

The gray bike in the first photo looks to be a good runner at the time, don't it? Tires aired up. Oil leaks. Let's ride! Take the Blue Mound Road west out of town to Jefferson and have a beer with the boys!

This brings up the important question: What were the local brands of beer in Jefferson, Wis., circa1900-1919?

Maybe ride over to Cambridge and visit our pal Frank Kenzler too.

Anyway, the c1918 date on the first photo is an estimate because we know the woodshed was moved to that location in 1918. So that's the photo's earliest possible date. It could be newer.

Paint color doesn't mean much, but being gray points to 1906. So does the sidecar frame. Motor? 1905 or 1906? Earl has a good feel for that.

Like Lonnie said, you'd think that being in the same c1919 time frame that Harley was seeking early models and the photo being taken at the factory, this would be a bike (or pieces of it) in today's collection. But a 1903 or 1904? Tain't so!

Lonnie, 4 feet of snow? Wow! Better bolt on the sidecar!
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======
              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I wonder what happened to this one?
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                  I wonder what happened to this one?
                  nice pic,i haven't seen that one.notice the flat rear fender braces.and the absence of the bottom motor mount cap. also it has the later style belt tensioner.this is an early pic of harleys second 6 bolt bike.their tagged 1905 model.

Comment

the '1905' bike in 1998

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                      nice pic,i haven't seen that one.notice the flat rear fender braces.and the absence of the bottom motor mount cap. also it has the later style belt tensioner.this is an early pic of harleys second 6 bolt bike.their tagged 1905 model.
                      No, It is most definately a different bike.
                      Here is one that I believe it fitted with the optional "LANG" clutch.
                      Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                        I agree with you Lonnie, that the early pic posted by Chris is of the second 6-bolt machine that Harley presently owns, which has a 1906 Model motor, and was tagged as their 1905, as posted by your second picture of the same bike. This same machine also morphed itself into the Second SNO job (Serial Number One) machine that was pictured on pages 16 & 17 of Willie G Davidson's book "100 Years".
                        Last edited by Earl; 11-07-2008, 08:32 PM.
                        Rick Morsher, aka Earl
                        AMCA #1905

Comment

Notice anything in this photo?

Look to the far left. See the photos? It is listed as a 1905. It is clearly a different machine that the one in the 1963 photo

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 11-07-2008, 06:05 PM.
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post

Anyway, the c1918 date on the first photo is an estimate because we know the woodshed was moved to that location in 1918. So that's the photo's earliest possible date. It could be newer.

Paint color doesn't mean much, but being gray points to 1906. So does the sidecar frame. Motor? 1905 or 1906?
                            Remember, what do we know for sure?
                            The picture was taken 1918 or later, and the machine in the picture is gray.

Did it leave the factory gray? We can't say for sure, because this is a 1918 picture.

I've studied this picture and other picture's of the Lobby Bike that I have, and it is my belief, they are the same machine. This machine has a 1905 Model motor, and was morphed into the first Serial Number One bike. There is one thing that I noticed, that appears on both machines. It's a flaw that is identical on both machines.

Contact me off line and we can discuss it.
                            Last edited by Earl; 11-07-2008, 08:35 PM.
                            Rick Morsher, aka Earl
                            AMCA #1905

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                              Notice anything in this photo?

Look to the far left. See the photos? It is listed as a 1905. It is clearly a different machine that the one in the 1963 photo

uh chris,i think you need to read thru the posts again.the first picture you posted is of harley's SECOND six bolt bike,not the FIRST six bolt bike that is in the 1963 picture. harley has TWO of them.they have only had two 6 bolt bikes in their collection .the bike in the photo you posted is still in their collection.it is not the "lobby bike" or serial number one as they call it now. it is the bike that has had the 1905 number plate on the front fender.it still looks the same as it did in 1998 with one exception ,the fenders have been removed. the lobby bike as we all know was restored {again}a few years back.

Comment

Working...
                              X