Fender repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender repair

I recently successfully got my wife's grandfathers 1929 French motorcycle shipped here from France. Obtaining parts from France is difficult at best. My fenders are in bad shape. The rear one is rusted through, and is in two parts. The front one is only half here. Being new to this, I am not sure how to proceed. Should I take these parts to a body shop to be welded, and I guess braced in some way underneath and then filled somehow? Or should I be thinking about some kind of metal fabrication to make new ones? I would appreciate any help with this.

I will take a stab at it, I would check with your local chapter. Who's good at metal working, try to come up with as many photo's of a like machines fenders as you can. Usually there are a couple guys at least in every chapter, who are skilled at those things - their the back bones of the chapters. If not they will probably know some one anyways who can help. If you feel up to it you might be able to give some of it a go. Get advice from those in the know and see what your confortable with. Nothing to lose by asking and check with the French motorcycle sites and clubs for info, might even find a set of real good fenders you never know and make some new friends along the way - good luck.

Comment

Kmo-ran

What is the machine ? Any photos ?
      William McClean
      AMCA # 60

Comment

Photos on the way

Tom, thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

William, The bike is a Terrot brand, made in Dijon France (like the Mustard). I found a way to have it crated and shipped from a tiny village in the heart of France. I tried to attach photos, but it said my file was too big. I'll try to find a decent I T guy at work to help me.

Comment

I met another AMCA member at Brookfield this summer. We actually rode out a downpour in his bike trailer. As a result, we spent a fair amount of time talking about his bike and his abilities. He had a pristinely restored HD from the teens with him. He built the tank from scratch as well as did his own plating. He's also done quite a bit of work on Frank Westfall's bikes. He later showed me a conversion kit he makes and sells that allows early HDs to run knucklehead brakes so that they will actually stop.

He lives in Central NY and does the bike stuff as a hobby/side business. I remember that he was a draftsman/designer by trade. I'm trying like Hell to remember his name, but cannot. I'm thinking that one of the other AMCA members that have been around longer know him from my description and can give you his contact info. I'm sure he could make a set of fenders for you, or point you to someone who could.
          Regards,
          Rob Sigond
          AMCA # 1811

Comment

Working...
          X