45 Parts Depot 12V Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 Parts Depot 12V Conversion

Anyone have experience with the 12V Generator conversion kit from 45 Parts Depot? Does it work as advertised? Any mods necessary, or visible differences once installed? I would like to use on my 1940 H-D EL.

I ordered their regulator that looks like an original cut-out relay, but their Armature guy passed away, and they haven't been able to restock their 12V Generator Conversion kit (supposed to fit inside the original 32E case without any mods). Anyone have an alternate quality supplier, or know someone who can supply the armature? I like working with 45 Parts Depot ... seem to be good folks who communicate well, and have very good products.

Thanks.
    Vic Ephrem
    AMCA #2590

I can't relate to the generator conversion,,,

But my two cents worth.

I have a Cycle Electric 12V Generator that I am using.

And one of Kurt's 12V Regulators.

I am also using a 12V Panasonic Emergency Lighting Supply Battery....no battery acid to make a mess with and It has been working just fine for several years now.

Has been working just great on my WLA.

I have to echo.....Kurt and Wendy are great folks to work with.

George
    George Greer
    AMCA # 3370

Comment

I am running one of their 12 volt regulators with a 65a generator and it is working great. I have a 12 volt battery wired up to the top of a 6 volt battery so that it looks like I am still running the 6 volt.
      Attached Files
      Rich
      AMCA #8438

Comment

rwrun... I've thought about doing the same thing as that. Yours looks great.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Heres what it looks like in the bike
          Attached Files
          Rich
          AMCA #8438

Comment

Thanks George and RW ... I am also currently running a Cycle Electric generator, but want to go to something that looks correct. RW ... Your battery solution looks great ... will work on something like that myself now that you've given me and Ohio the idea.

Much appreciated folks.
            Vic Ephrem
            AMCA #2590

Comment

Here is a pic of how I set it up to slide into the batterybox. Seems to work well so far and the smaller 12 volt doesnt bounce around.
              Attached Files
              Rich
              AMCA #8438

Comment

Too bad that old batteries are impossible to find.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

VL Heaven sells a dummy battery terminal top that fools anybody at least on JD:s and VL:s.
                  Maybe thare is one for later batteryboxes, too.

Regards
                  Fiskis
                  AMCA #2124

Comment

Found a guy in Wichita Kansas who will convert a 32-E from 6V to 12V so that it looks stock. I have already got 45 Parts Depot's "Regulator in the Cut-Out Relay". This guy's got a lot of good references (including one locally), and stands behind his work. His website (lots of photos) shows that he works on all kinds of automotive generators. ACE Alternators & Starters. He's got about 37 years experience and is a master winder. I am going to ship him my 32-E and I'll provide an update once complete. Website ... http://acewichita.com/
                    Vic Ephrem
                    AMCA #2590

Comment

Originally posted by 40 Nuck View Post
                      Anyone have experience with the 12V Generator conversion kit from 45 Parts Depot? Does it work as advertised? Any mods necessary, or visible differences once installed? I would like to use on my 1940 H-D EL.

I ordered their regulator that looks like an original cut-out relay, but their Armature guy passed away, and they haven't been able to restock their 12V Generator Conversion kit (supposed to fit inside the original 32E case without any mods). Anyone have an alternate quality supplier, or know someone who can supply the armature? I like working with 45 Parts Depot ... seem to be good folks who communicate well, and have very good products.

Thanks.
                      There are probably half a dozen bikes running around locally with generators that I've converted with field coils and the "faux cut-out" regulator from Kurt. They work great! One is even a 50's ServiCar with an electric start. The converted 32E and regulator look bone stock and could pass AMCA judging. If I ever build another Harley this is the set up I'd put on it ... Perry

Comment

40 knuc

is the regulator the small one like what is on a pan. do you have a picture I
                        think i want to do the same on my pan. I have to take the gen. apart anyway
                        I guess the end cover held too much water and it is all corroded in there.
                        Or would 6 volt be fine I would normally ride only around 300 miles in a day
                        and just want it dependable
                        Moose
                        aka Glenn

Comment

I wish I had left mine 6v. I put alot of miles on with the 6v system and never had a problem with it.
                          Of course I've never had any trouble with the 12v system either. I do like the worry free sealed battery that I can use with the 12v system.
                          Is this conversion only for 32-E generators or it also doable with a Model-61?
                          Last edited by Ohio-Rider; 11-30-2008, 12:02 PM.
                          ------------
                          Steve
                          AMCA #7300

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                            40 knuc

is the regulator the small one like what is on a pan. do you have a picture I
                            think i want to do the same on my pan. I have to take the gen. apart anyway
                            I guess the end cover held too much water and it is all corroded in there.
                            Or would 6 volt be fine I would normally ride only around 300 miles in a day
                            and just want it dependable
                            The regulator under discussion looks just like a cutout relay. The 32E is converted to a 12 volt 2 brush generator by replacing the field coils and getting the armature rewound. Two of the main advantages of the conversion are:
                            - with a regulator the generator's output is always matched to the demand. With the three brush your output depends on the position of the third brush regardless of demand.
                            - the output from a 3 brush generator peaks around 45mph and drops off after that. The output from a 2 brush doesn't drop off at higher speeds.
                            A converted 32E visually continues to look bone stock. Coupled with the regulator that looks like the cutout this set up could pass judging. My experience is it's been a very reliable combination ... Perry

Comment

I have a Cycle Electric 12V Generator that I am using.

And one of Kurt's 12V Regulators.

Who is Kurt and where can I find his regulator
                              thanks

sorry did not see the bottom of Perry's picture I'll find flatland and get one and now to get the gen redone
                              Last edited by Glenn; 12-01-2008, 06:55 AM. Reason: found additional info
                              Moose
                              aka Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X