1940 indian rear shock removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 indian rear shock removal

can someone point out in step form how to remove rear shocks from a 1940 chief.

I got the lower screw on part into the frame out but can not figure out how the rest is removed

aka HAWG
    1914 excelsior
    1940 indian chief
    1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
    1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
    1940 indian chief military
    1965 sportster xlch
    1969 sportster xlch bobber
    1971 bsa A65 chopper
    1969 harley ss350 sprint
    1960 harley topper
    1963 harley topper
    H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
    H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
    1949 harley model 125 bobber project
    1959 harley model 165
    1960 harley super 10
    1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
    EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Well here goes................... I'll start from in the frame..... This info is courtesy of J.B. Nicholson's book "Modern Motorcycle Mechanics".

Diagram at bottom........

1. Remove rear wheel.

2. Remove the small grub screw in the top frame casting near the mudguard support lug. (Soak with penetrating oil if tight and rap on end of screwdriver with hammer to loosen.) The top dust cover sleeve can now be lowered.

3. Unscrew and remove both top and bottom spindle bolts "A"

4. Loosen pinch bolt "B" and unscrew and remove lower cup "I" at bottom of cylinder.

5. Compress the springs by fitting a spacer 2" long, 7/8" bore over the bottom of the slipper spindle shaft, fit and tighten bottom spindle bolt "A" until springs are compressed sufficiently to lower the spindle shaft and spring asssembly to clear the top frame casting so that the complete assembly can be lifted out of frame, top end first.

Removing Springs from Slipper Cylinder

1. Remove spindle bolt "A" and the 2" tube spacer used for compressing springs for removal from frame.

2. Remove lockring "C".

3. Place cylinder assembly in a press and exert pressure on top end of slipper shaft, support bottom of cylinder on a spacer so that bottom end of shaft can project through. This will compress lower spring "H" and relieve the tension on top spring "G" and cylinder cap ring nut "D", which can now be unscrewed.

4. Remove cap nut "D" when the shaft and springs can be removed.

Note- The top spring "G" (shortest) is the recoil spring and the lower spring "H" is the load spring. The slipper cylinder bushings should be free on the shaft. The taper end of the spindle shafts is the top, shouldered end is the bottom.

Reassembly

1. Clean and grease shaft and springs.

2. Install the longest spring "H" with the large end to bottom of slipper cyclinder.

3. Install slipper spindle shaft through from top with the shouldered end to the bottom of the cylinder.

4. Install the short spring "G" with the large end to the top of cylinder.

5. Fit cylinder cap "D" and place the unit in a press and compress spring, "H" so that cap "D" can be screwed into place lining up the slots in "D" with the slots in the cylinder "E".

6. Replace the lockring, fit the top dust cover.

7. Compress the springs using the 2" tube spacer and bolt at bottom, used in removal and fit the complete unit into frame.

8. Fit the top tapered end of the spindle shaft into top casting' start spindle bolt "A" a few threads to locate.

9. Remove the lower bolt "A" and the 2" tube spacer used to compress the springs; screw the lower cup "I" into place but do not tighten.

10. Tighten top spindle bolt "A".

11. Tighten lower cup "I" until felt to pull up, then slacken slightly, lock by tightening pinch bolt "B". Fit and tighten lower spindle bolt "A".

12. Slide the top dust cover up into place in top frame casting and lock with grub screw.

13. Note rear chain will require adjusting after fitting wheel.

I hope this helps!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by c.o.; 10-12-2008, 03:10 PM.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

thanks cory

I found the screws filled in with grease and road grime then primered over

broke 2 screw driver heads trying to get the one side out, got the other no problems, still working on first side

I do not know if upper rubber gasket is holding the upper cover in place or more road grime, and blasting sand, upper cover inside slipper will not move or turn. It just slides down????

last owner sandblasted the frame with the shocks in place and are all full of sand and I wish to re-blast the frame and really need to remove the shocks, any tricks to remove will help

aka hawg
      1914 excelsior
      1940 indian military chief
      1965 sportster xlch
      1971 bsa A65 chopper
      1969 harley ss350 sprint
      1960 harley topper
      1963 harley topper
      H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
      H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
      1949 harley model 125 bobber project
      1959 harley model 165
      1960 harley super 10
      1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
      EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

I'll tell you what I do to get slippers out but it will make me look like a moron to all of the Indian guys. I spread the bottom threaded forging out with a big screw driver and that lets the bottom cup slip right out. Sometimes you need to whack the top retaining bolt with a mallet to break the taper. That lets the whole assembly come out. The stupid thing about spreading the threaded forging is, you can mess up the thread alignment. You have to open it up carefully. I don't know if I'm explaining it very well. The area I'm talking about is where the bottom pinch bolt is located. I've done it quite a few time with different Indians and I have never had a problem with re-assembly.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          I'll tell you what I do to get slippers out but it will make me look like a moron to all of the Indian guys.
          Well eric, if it's tried and trued for you, then I can't see a moron judgement being relevant. I guess if the sandblasting was done with the shocks in place, then there is most likely sand in places it shouldn't be. Which like you say has got the shock in a wedged position. Eric's method may very well be the easiest way in this situation.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

the covers were encased in grime and sand between the frame and the cover that prevented the covers from sliding or turning - got one free working on other

tried the opening of lower frame to remove spring - worked like a charm

a big thanks to all that had input
            aka HAWG
            1914 excelsior
            1940 military indian chief
            1965 sportster xlch
            1971 bsa A65 chopper
            1969 harley ss350 sprint
            1960 harley topper