18" rim repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18" rim repair

Hello, can anybody tell me the best way to repair the tire iron marks on the edge of my 18" rims? I thought that the deep ones could be mig welded then filed smooth but not sure. I don't want to use puddy as I'm affraid it would chip when putting on the tires. The rims are otherwise near mint. Thanks in advance
    Barry E Porter

Barry, I have used lead to repair rims that were pitted. I used a heavy duty electric soldering iron and 50/50 solder (50%lead-50%tin). I used a lead flux that has lead powder in a flux suspension as a primer. The 50/50 adheared great. You can get all through McMaster Carr. I was able to powder coat the rims with the lead filler, however, I am not a proponent of powder coating.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric, I will give it a try. Is there a reason that you don't like powder coating on rims? I was going to use it for its chip resistance, is there something better? Thanks again Barry
      Barry E Porter

Comment

Barry, I powder coated the rims on my '40 Chief and it looks okay and is very tough. I went back and forth on paint vs. powder coat on my '48 FL rims that I am currently doing. I chose paint and I like the looks better and it seems to be very tough as well. I guess it's just an asthetic thing. For modern bikes like these, powder coat is a good finish.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
        X