Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Lamp

I could use a little help again.
    I'm preparing a front fender for paint on my 47 Knuckle.
    There are a lot of holes on the top of the fender for misc. doo-dads.
    I want to fill any that are not necessary for the fender lamp, but wouldn't
    you know, none of them were for the lamp. Which leaves me with the question
    of correct placement of the lamp.
    Could one of you gentlemen post the correct distance from the center of the
    front screw to the leading edge of the fender?
    Also, there was an earlier post about the wire routing through the fender using the metal conduit, as Palmer's book mentions. Where under the springer does the conduit
    protrude? Thanks in advance, Bob
    Bob

Wow, those are great questions Bob. I'm just getting ready to paint a front fender for my '48 FL. My fender looks to be a pretty good survivor considering a few "wallered" holes and the usual array of dents and dings. I am going to use the existing holes for a fender light which seem to correlate to a real rusty fender light base that I have. The dimension I have from the front edge of the fender to the first hole is: 3.625". I would like to hear a confirmation of that dimension and I'm curious about the conduit exit location. I plan to use a reproduction fender light and hope that the stud locations are the same as original or the same as what I have in my fender.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric,
      I'm also going to use an aftermarket Fender Lamp. The going rate of the factory Lamps is ridiculous in my opinion. Theres very little ropop on my bike so I don't feel too bad.
      So I'm curious to see if we have a response to your question regarding mounting hole differences. Also curious about the wire exit hole under the springer.
      Thanks for the dimension. I hope to return the favor some day.
      Bob
      Bob

Comment

Bob before you goand drill holes remember the placement of your repop one may not be the same as the stock one! now if your not in a hurry what Ive found is on E-Bay broken ones are pretty cheap and Ive been able to put together one for fair money! Just a sugestion

Comment

Thanks Inline4nut,
          That's good to know. You caught me before I did the drilling. Maybe I can find one at
          Wauseon this weekend.
          Happy Trails, Bob
          Bob

Comment

What the, ....____?
            This kinda ____ does NOT make me happy.
            Cobblestone trails to you Easyforpp
            Bob
            Bob

Comment

Bob, in regards to the conduit exit hole. Where the fender mounts to the springer. I have the 2 counter sunk mounting holes and a 3rd small hole between them. Is that where the conduit comes out ? Also, Colony makes a fender lamp wire kit with the conduit, wire, cloth conduit, and 2 small clamps. I figured one of the clamps mounts to one of the lamp studs. Where is the other clamp used ?
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

The conduit does not come out the hole, it ends just before it. Al the holes I have seen in original fenders the hole is formed as if it is drilled and then a rod passed through that is then twisted towards the rear to form the hole so the wire does not rub or cut. The hole is also offset to the right side of the fender. There is a clip on the right horn bracket bolt that holds the conduit to the fender.
                Robbie
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie, your letter answered a lot of questions.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

I also thank you Robbie. But once again I'm confused by computers. I posted a reply to Eric's question yesterday & today its not showing. It amounted to what Robbie said with an additional, I'll see what I can find out at Wauseon this weekend.
                    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                      The conduit does not come out the hole, it ends just before it. Al the holes I have seen in original fenders the hole is formed as if it is drilled and then a rod passed through that is then twisted towards the rear to form the hole so the wire does not rub or cut. The hole is also offset to the right side of the fender. There is a clip on the right horn bracket bolt that holds the conduit to the fender.
                      Robbie
                      Robbie,
                      You are mistaken, as I was untill a few days ago. The conduit does come through the fender. Usually about 1/2". It is difficult to see in factory photos of Big Twins but easier to see on 45" Here is one where it is sticking out a mile.

And another on a fender at the assembly line.
                      Last edited by Chris Haynes; 07-19-2008, 05:46 PM.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for the info Chris, in all the years I have been messing with this stuff I have never seen one assembled like that! I have even had an NOS fender light kit with a new conduit in it and it wasn't like that. I wonder how long they did it??
                        Robbie
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                          Thanks for the info Chris, in all the years I have been messing with this stuff I have never seen one assembled like that! I have even had an NOS fender light kit with a new conduit in it and it wasn't like that. I wonder how long they did it??
                          Robbie
                          Till they changed the wiring in 1948. Now we have something else for judges to look for. ;-)
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

Thanks Chris, I found out some more info yesterday at Wauseon & that was something I wanted to confirm before posting. Every restored & original bike that I saw from that era had the conduit extend out above the fender at varying lengths, mostly 1/4". Also, I have a measurement for location of that hole. I measured 3" from the center of the fender mount bolt forward to the center of the exit hole which is 3/16". I measured with a tape 2 3/4" from the center of the exit hole to the bottom edge of the main fender where the side valance meets, not the bottom edge of valance.
                            Thanks Inline4nut, for your info on the repop fender lamp mounting holes not being the same as OEM. That was also confirmed yesterday. The OEM base has an offset from center
                            simple hole with rubber grommet for the wire to pass through, maybe 3/8" off center, not sure of exact location. The repop is a good one but it has a terminal at the center line. Both mounting hole studs are 5" apart. The distance from the front edge of the fender to the front center mounting hole is 3 3/4". I feel pretty good about these dims. or I wouldn't post them. If ANYONE has better conflicting info, please let us know. I plan on finding a OEM light base to get exact hole locations before I drill. If anyone has one they don't need for a reasonable price, please let me know.
                            Happy Trails, Bob
                            Bob

Comment

Bobdo,
                              Don't forget that after you drill the hole for the wire/conduit to stick a punch in the hole from the bottom and push it forward so the hole has the tweak in it to allow the conduit to pass through.
                              Be sure to visit;

Comment

Working...
                              X