Bob McClean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob McClean

Past president Bob McClean passed away June 20th. More details can be found at:
    http://www.legacy.com/QuadCityTimes/DeathNotices.asp
    He will be missed.

I know that's life, but I'm continually disturbed by the passing of long time members.....

May he rest in peace.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

May GOD bless you with eternal PEACE!!!!I am sorry it took so long for this post Mr McClean was in my opinion what our hobby is all about GENTLEMEN!!!

Comment

Bob McClean was very much the heart and soul of the AMCA during his 18 years as President. In 4 of those years he also filled the difficult role of Editor. He also served as Treasurer and as Vice President before becoming President.

It was my great privilege to know Bob over a number of years from the time he first came to a CVMG rally with his Spacke-engined Sears veteran bike and rode it over a bumpy field and into the concours judging area. Later we met at several of the National Road Runs and he always took a kindly interest in a young Canadian riding odd and different bikes.

He was a true enthusiast for motorcycling and at an age when most wouldn't he mounted a strange pre-1915 bike and completed the 56 mile London-to-Brighton Pioneer Run. the oldest antique bike run on the British calendar.

His contribution to the AMCA, its growth and success, cannot be overestimated. It is our job to carry on, mindful of the way in which he served the AMCA and its members for so long a time - and in remembrance of a soldier and a true gentleman.

Allan Johnson
        AMCA #674
        CVMG #3 - Hon. Life Member, Past President
        VMCC member
        Past President, Brough Superior Club

Comment

What a loss, Bob was a kind man. He was such a pleasant person to be around, always smiling and having time to visit with you. He will be missed. May he feel the warmth and comfort of the Lord's perpetual light shining upon him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family at this time. Denise Rich-Gross

Comment

Bob always made the time to stop and chat with you, even as a newcomer to our club he found the time to make me feel welcome and part of the club.
            I would look forward to seeing and talking with him. The cub has lost a great ambassador. He will be greatly missed by all who had the privilege of knowing him.
            My condolences too Norma and all of his family

Pete Reeves.
            Last edited by pete reeves; 06-26-2008, 05:56 PM.

Comment

RIP Dear Sir. Paps

Comment

The last time I talked with Bob was at a Eustis meet and I had brought my '16 Ex for judging. There never seems to be very many real antiques at meets anymore so it really got Bob's attention. Also, he loved Excelsiors so he lingered by my bike and I talked with him for awhile. I have seen Bob at meets for many years, as a matter of fact I first met him at a Maguire Field meet back in the 70's when he brought his 1912 Henderson. He was a busy guy and had a very full plate at every national meet he went to so I didn't speak with him very often unless I was hanging with one of his contemporaries like Bud Cox, Charlie Carter, or Jerry Ottaway. Everyone understood that he had a lot of things to do at a national meet so he was never expected to shoot the breeze for hours on end. I'm glad I made his aquaintence and consider him to be one of the gems of our hobby. My thoughts are with his family.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I didn't get to personally know Bob McClean very well, but I'm shocked and sad to hear that another Club member is gone...
                  Herbert Wagner
                  AMCA 4634
                  =======
                  The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I have to say that I am more than a little disappointed with the lack of response to this profound loss to the AMCA. Bob was a huge part of what made this such a great club. I know Bob influenced a lot of our members and I think this is a great place to leave an anecdote or just a nice recollection. I don't want to lay a guilt trip on people but Bob was a guy worth remembering.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

What a great loss! Bob was such a gentleman in the fullest sense of the word. He kept the AMCA going and growing.
                      Jerry Hatfield

Comment

Eric- I agree and hope some members do share some stories about Bob. I have read much of his work over the years through our magazine but never knew him well. Although Bob is no longer with us, it must be comforting to his family and friends that his contributions to our fine club will endure.

Comment

Sorry to say but I have not looked at this thread in a very long time, was sad to see Bob had passed. I only met him one time a few years ago at the Fort Sutter meet near Sacramento Ca. He was kind enough to take the time to talk and it was neat to see he had just made a find and was pleased with his purchase.

As Jerry Hatfield said, he was a gentleman.
                          #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Back in 1991 we hosted the "Great Canadian Buffalo Hunt " in Manitoba. Incidently the first AMCA sponsored road run outside the US of A. We made Bob an honourary life member and presented him with a cheque for his expenses. He accepted the life membership but not the cheque. Truly a gentleman. Whenever we met until his death he raised his fingers to his head and always gave the buffalo salute. I for one will miss him. From the great white north.
                            Ross

Comment

Bob

There is no doubt the impact that Bob has had on the AMCA, just scroll back into the earlier magazines and you will see all the insight and information that he offered, not to mention his focus on the AMCA. Although I never met him, after reading his contributions, and hearing from others, it is no doubt that the AMCA faithful should all be thankful for having Bob help steer this hobby through the years. Rest in Peace Bob.

Comment

Working...
                              X