Indian 841 distributor cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian 841 distributor cap

Where can I get a replacement distributor cap for my Indian 841? The cap that fits the Scout and Chief will not work on the Autolite distributor on the 841.

I talked with a tech support person at Autolite who told me that the company does not keep any historical archives and that the Autolite brand has been owned by so many companies that there is no longer any connection to its historical roots.

The problem with the cap is that the rotor became loose and damaged one of the sparkplug wire contact posts inside the cap. A prior owner had cobbled up a ghastly looking fix with solder and steel wire, but this clearly is not the answer.

A machinist might be able to cut off the damaged post and drill and tap the remaining stub. Then a replacement post could be fabricated that would screw into the base. Maybe I should take this to a dentist who specializes in doing crowns?

I would be willing to pay for a batch of replacement caps to be -- if any such person exists. There must be other 841 owners who would like to have a replacement cap or two for their machines.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I might solve the distributor cap dilemma – and still keep the bike correct?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

To simply get it running, I think a generic four cylinder cap (as used on an Indian 4 for example) works as long as you plug into the correct two terminals. If you're looking for something that's the same design as original, I would suggest contacting Mitech Ignition:
    http://www.mitechignition.com/
    and asking them if they have any IC-445-3 caps left (that's their number that the original number crosses to). They still list it in their cross tables but I don't see it in the 2008 catalogue they have online ... Perry

Comment

I have a cap from a 1969 Datsun pickup sitting on the original distributor of my 23JDCA. I use some silicon sealer to position it correctly but it does work. Check your friends that own the smaller displacement vehicles from the 1960's and see what they've kept from their last tune-up. ...bill
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I found a cap that almost fit. It is for a 4 cylinder, but the indexing parts match my distributor housing. A machinist shaved it enough to get it to fit, and the bike runs! After I correct several other problems with the engine and gear cases, I'll but the critter on the road and find out how well the new cap is doing its job. Right now, though, I may have this headache solved.
        George Tinkham
        Springfield, IL
        www.virmc.com
        AMCA # 1494
        1941 Indian 841
        1948 Indian Chief
        1956 H-D KHK
        1960 CH
        1964 BMW R69S
        1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
        X