Would You Paint? HD '65 Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Paint? HD '65 Pan

I've had a '65 Pan for about 6 years now that I bought from my father. Hi-Fi blue original paint bike. He was the 4th owner.

I new the previous two, but not the first I know it came used to the second owner from the HD dealer in Orwigsburg, PA.

Third owner got into pin striping and used this bike to try himself out. The quality of his work is good but the pattern/design I find over done and to me detracts from the bike. I think the designs he picked though were common to what people were doing to their dressers in the 60's and early 70's.

Either he or my father added those chrome rails to the top of the front fender as well as a mud flap. This required holes in the fender.

I do like the original paint color and the aging that it shows as well. I do have another set of metal for this bike that was done in maroon (non standard color), but the '65 tank pattern is very well done.

My thoughts are to remove the original paint metal and keep it, mount the other set until I figure out what to do.

My thoughts are to find a way to remove the striping without disturbing the paint underneath. Then there's the holes from the accessory rails on the front fender. There I would have the option to just remount the period accessories. I do have an original Harley NOS Mud Flap as shown in 1965 accessory catalog.

I have been told that striping was typically done in a different paint than the factory paint and could possibly be removed by careful use of a rag dampened with either acetone or lacquer thinner.

Comments appreciated

Why don't you just get the extra set painted, since it is not original anyway? I had a good local painter do mine, and it looks great! Then you can take off the original set and keep it that way. As far as removing the pin stripes, I don't have a clue. Try WD 40?
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by portagepan
      Why don't you just get the extra set painted, since it is not original anyway? I had a good local painter do mine, and it looks great! Then you can take off the original set and keep it that way. As far as removing the pin stripes, I don't have a clue. Try WD 40?
      Mike
      Yep - thanks for that support! Pretty much where I've been going. I really don't like the non stock color on the extra set of metal even though it is one of the closest examples of a 65 repaint that gets the pattern right on the tanks. I can use the originals to help the painter. Just a shame to strip that nice paint job off the extra set. But you know - it's still a better move than risking the original paint parts which can be used for color matching or I can figure out how to clean up later once I know what works with out ruining them.

Comment

Hello, I have stripped a total repaint over original paint where as it came out looking pretty good. Yes I took off all the sheet metal and I used Acetone after speaking with many people on this subject. However you must be carefull when using Acetone with a soft cloth and gloves over the second color of your tank and/or fenders which in your case would be the white possibly. I'd also say using a thin brush or Q-tip may work well for removing pinstripping as it only touches the area need be. It's a slow process as the Acetone evaporates quickly. For some reason the second color of some sheetmetal wasn't baked on as well as the solid coat as I found out. Only use quick strokes of of the acetone without oversoaking an area. Now by my saying this I'd use every caution available as to prevent it detroying the original paint to the primer. This is a chance you'll have to take so go slowly/lightly at it. It could very well dull the remaining paint at least. When it comes to this sort of work I almost don't want to give advise but this was my experience and in my case it worked well. Keep riding them Merlin in Pa. BTW I know that Original dealership in Pa and it's a good one.
        Last edited by Magic; 03-25-2008, 11:05 AM. Reason: advice left out

Comment

Originally posted by Magic View Post
          Hello, I have stripped a total repaint over original paint where as it came out looking pretty good. Yes I took off all the sheet metal and I used Acetone after speaking with many people on this subject. However you must be carefull when using Acetone with a soft cloth and gloves over the second color of your tank and/or fenders which in your case would be the white possibly. I'd also say using a thin brush or Q-tip may work well for removing pinstripping as it only touches the area need be. It's a slow process as the Acetone evaporates quickly. For some reason the second color of some sheetmetal wasn't baked on as well as the solid coat as I found out. Only use quick strokes of of the acetone without oversoaking an area. Now by my saying this I'd use every caution available as to prevent it detroying the original paint to the primer. This is a chance you'll have to take so go slowly/lightly at it. It could very well dull the remaining paint at least. When it comes to this sort of work I almost don't want to give advise but this was my experience and in my case it worked well. Keep riding them Merlin in Pa. BTW I know that Original dealership in Pa and it's a good one.

I agree, and if and when the stripe comes off you may see a ghost stripe so try a small area first. Hi Fi blue is my favorite, I just sold an original paint 66' Hi Fi blue FLH to a guy in Conn. Good luck
          #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Original only once!

Repaint the other set of tin and keep your original paint. With "alot of patience over time when you are in the right mood" you can remove the "period pinstripe" and still have nice original paint tin. Don't rush and set it aside if it does not cooperate. There are some beautiful early teens and twenties bikes that owners have removed one or more repaint coats and got back to the original paint.

I use a product called Kramers Best to clean and refresh original paint. Available on the web.
            My original paint 14 Harley single had 90 plus years of grit, grease, road grime on it and now has a wonderful patina...the original horse hair pinstriping is even visible now.

Steve Klein
            Steve Klein
            Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
            American Pre-teens - 1965
            AMCA Member 12176
            Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
            www.CherokeeAMCA.org
            Steve@SteveKlein.com
            Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

Knuck, Steve, Merlin - thanks for the tips and input. Doing just that, as in I now in the process of having the 65 restoral work done. Going have the extra set stripped and use the original for matching pattern, color, etc. Later I'll take my time and work on removing the striping. I should have the touch up paints then that I may need for minor touching up, etc.

Sorry this response is so late. I never received email notice that there was a response to this thread.
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
              X