Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery early clip on

Gentlemen,
    Having seen the interesting picture of the 1901 Wiggert I need to ask for your help again.
    Back in 2005 when I still had not joined AMCA, Perry Ruiter posted some photos for me of a very early bicycle clip on that came out of an abandoned Norwegian farm. This was posted under the "American other" May 19 2005, and there was only one reply wich stated it to be an early buckboard motor.
    Well it is not, after this I have got hold of a 1898 Crescent no. 15 Gentlemen safety bicycle to make a "replica" pretty much like the Wiggert. What I discovered when I got the engine fitted in the Crescent frame is that the frame clamps beeing a part of the motor fits 100% to the diameter of the bisycle front tube. I had wondered about the clamp diameter as I had tried fitting the engine in a couple of european bikes from early 1900 century where it didnt fit. The reason is they have less diameter on the front tube of the frame than the early American safety bicycles.
    When the engine is fitted to the Crescent the oiler is pointing straight up, and it just looks great.
    In the post by Perry is a tech description of the engine.
    There is allso a link to photos:
    http://members.shaw.ca/pruiter/sverre.jpg
    Double click the pictures to enlarge in lower right corner.
    I have later learned the carb is from a 1906-7 NSU and have been added to replace the vapour type of carburation.
    Again, is this a one of?
    I am quite sure some one brought it back home to Norway after having worked in the US, after all half our population went to the US back in the late 1800`s.
    sveger

Re: Mystery early clip on

Great project. That sparkplug looks as big as a doorknob!

Comment

Working...
    X