Frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame?

Well we got a mystery on our hands. Got a Pan frame that has never been screwed with. The upper motor mount states 4D which would make it April 1954. Ahh but now comes the mystery. According to Palmer the only difference between 1954/55 frames and 56/57 frames was that the coil mounts on the left side of the frame was threaded 3/8-24 instead of 5/16 as the earlier of the two. He also goes on to state that 56 and up were the first year for the stainless cover on the neck lock. Pages 39 and 612. Well it looks like I got a 1954 frame with factory 3/8 coil mounts, a neck lock that doesn’t have a stainless cover on the neck lock. Any one got an answer for this one? Thanks, Bob

Bob, You didn't say if the frame is straight leg or wishbone style. There was a running change in late '54 models. Which style do you have?
    Robbie

Comment

Straight leg.

Comment

Just found another straight leg on E-Bay. The owner says the frame number is December 1955 and it to has coil blockes taped 3/8".

Comment

I have found at least one other discrepency in the frame info in palmers in regards to pan frames. I have seen and photographed all original early 52's that still have the square horn mount blocks( the owners tell me they are tapped for a #12 screw, not the #10 as earlier frames), so I don't find what you're saying to be all that strange. I have also seen a late 51 with the 52 only lower motor mount and the early style top mount. Palmers is a great resource and generally very helpful, but it isn't the absolute.
          Brian

Comment

Working...
          X