Helped a Newby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helped a Newby

Yesterday I helped a newby with his recently purchased 1940 EL Knucklehead. What a blast it was. He is a long time car and bike guy but had never owned an older bike. A mutual friend put us together and we asked me to look it over and show him how to ride it.

This is a beautiful, properly restored machine showing 16 miles of the odometer. I showed him how to open the fuel petcock (which he didn't know existed) and the starting process. We had it running in within 10 kicks. We let it warm up for a couple of minutes.

It was VERY rich, so I showed him how to lean out the carb until it stopped spitting out black smoke, I showed him how to adjust the idle and he was like a kid in a candy store.

We then rolled it outside and I rode it around the parking lot to make sure it was ok. Then put him on the bike. He got the hang of the foot clutch right away and came back with a huge smile making it all worth while.

He admitted he liked the bike when it arrived from the restorer (an AMCA member) but really didn't get excited until he heard it run and saw me ride it around. He said it was a moment he is not ever likely to forget. Me too - great bike, great guy and a lot of fun.

Let's all see if we can do something litk this to help grow the ranks of enthusiasts to help continue to grow the sport.

Buzz,

there is never ever anything like your first time.

I never get tired of explaining the "ritual": gas on, choke on full, clutch forward, tank shifter in neutral, two primer kicks, retard the spark a little, choke back open to one click, switch on.......and hope it starts with the "golden kick" and everyone watching!

The chances of the bike actually starting are usually disproportional to how much I brag about it being a one-kick starter. My flatheads almost (almost) always make me proud, the knuck and the pan almost always try to break my leg!

How's the new mag coming along?

mike

Comment

Be Nice to Newbies...

Buzz...your story made me smile. Have had similar experiences as well. Most ongoing experience all the time is when anyone looks at my 12 HD belt bike that I keep at the house. 'How old is it?", 'Does it still run?"

Hmm...Let's see if it will run....turn oil needle on till 10-12 drips per minute are visible in the sight glass (they crouch down to view sight glass), turn on gas needle...tickle the carb...retard spark...roll throttle grip full right to open compression release....engage hand lever to clutch in rear hub.....pull idler belt lever to tension belt....pedal one revolution...roll throttle grip inward.....advance timing when it starts....Yup it Runs.

It does not matter if they are 16 or 86 they all smile. "Look at that thing go up and down on the outside of the motor" etc.... 'Do you ever ride it?" Sure...want to see me jump your Suburban?

Steve Klein
      Steve Klein
      Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
      American Pre-teens - 1965
      AMCA Member 12176
      Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
      www.CherokeeAMCA.org
      Steve@SteveKlein.com
      Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

Cool anecdote Steve! Got any pics of that wonderful '12 of yours???? Gotta love that early iron!!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Buzz ... as a somewhat recently-new-to-the-ranks 40 EL owner, and it being not only my first old bike, but the first bike I've owned, I really appreciate the fact that you treated the guy with enthusiasm. In my short time, I have noted that the VAST majority of guys that I've run in to are super patient and helpful, with only a couple who have been a little condescending. I know I still get a kick out of riding the bike with all of it's "requirements". I had a 1965 Corvette from 1983 - 1998, and always appreciated how much more a part of the action you feel in older vehicles. With the Stingray, it was a heavy clutch that would give your leg a workout, the suspension that would tilt you noticeably back when you accelerated, and the SOUND. Today's cars with thier idiot lights, concert interiors, and low propensity to have mechanical failure don't call for nearly as much attention to changes in sound, ride, guages, vibrations, etc. I get the same rush with the old iron. With the old knuckle, you've got lots to do, and it's all fun. You have to be an alert and involved rider, and to me that keeps it from getting boring. Even when something goes wrong, because it's not completely unexpected, I enjoy the challenge of getting through whatever it throws my way. Thanks for sharing!
          Vic Ephrem
          AMCA #2590

Comment

Working...
          X