Won't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't Start

I have a '40 Indian 4 which will not start after it gets hot. It has magneto ignition and seems to have plenty of spark when checking in the heated condition. Seems to be getting fuel as well. After it cools for awhile starting is back to normal. Has anyone experienced this condition?

Thanks,
    Highlander

Even though you can see a spark, you may not be getting any with some compression. Sounds like a magneto coil or condenser may be breaking down with heat.
    That and your sure there is no vapor lock?

Regards
    Steve

Comment

I agree with Steve, check the condensor first. I had the same problem with a Lucas magneto years ago, absolutely would not start when hot. Replaced the condensor and no more problems.

mike

Comment

The coil is new, the condenser I do not know. Is your thought that the condenser is breaking down when hot even though I see what appears to be a good blue spark at the plug? Do you have any recommendations as to a condenser that will fit in the housing.

I suspected the vapor lock condition, although closing the choke produces fuel in the carb throat. Is there to be an insulator bloch between the carb and manifold?

Thanks for your responses!

Comment

you might try to disconnect the condensor while it is still hot and try a start, I dont think it would harm the points to try that.

Comment

Ok, I will give this a try.

Comment

Working...
            X