• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info request

Gentlemen,
    I wonder if someone could help me out?
    I've been slowly replacing the repop parts
    on my '47 EL when possible, I just found a
    rear chain guard, but it needs a lot of repair.
    The stud that attaches to the rear fender strut is missing & I don't know what the specs are to make
    another one. Or, is there one available somewhere?
    The repop is 1/4 28 but the primary mounting bolts
    are 1/4 20. My best guess at this point is that it should
    be 1/4 20 & have a large shoulder to act as a spacer between the fender strut & guard. Then the 5/16 (?)
    end is peened over a washer on the back side of the guard. Also, is the spacer just a washer? Am I close?
    I appreciate the help. I can't find this info & I want to include the guard in a batch of parts to paint.
    Have a great Autumn. Thanks, Bob

Parts book says the nut on the stud is 1/4-24. If you don't have a parts book you should buy one. I would try Old Dude for the stud. I don't know that they stock it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did ... Perry

Comment

Thanks Perry,
      Your right, i need to buy a parts book. The one I have
      is old & incomplete. All the other books & reference material I have didn't have it. I plan on giving Clete & Bart a call, as soon as i can get some part numbers.
      I appreciate your response. Bob

Comment

Chaingaurd Stud

www.beautyofspeed.com has NOS Chaingaurd studs. Part number 3828-36. Don't Know if this is the correct one. I was on their site looking at nuts and bolts and remembered seeing them.
        Hope this Helps

Comment

Hello Gallen,
          Thanks for the reply. I haven't visited that site for awhile, it was good to see again. I'll check that part number (3828-36) in my new parts book. I don't understand the need for the bushing area, maybe 45"?
          I ended up making a stud, it turned out pretty good. Not having actual info I had to guess & measure a bit, but its good enough for me & will function perfectly. It will be interesting to see if the field judge calls it incorrect by perhaps being .001" shorter or longer in length. Consider that a challenge if anyone's reading this!

Comment

Working...
          X