Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 51 is FL 26XX. This machine has an M74 carb, 1950 style cam cover and kicker cover. It was chopped when I got it, so I had to dig up fenders for it. I also had a suspicion regarding the whole model run having three rib fenders. I have spoken to one guy who was adamant that his original paint 51 has a single rib type.

I think it is clear that H-D tried to use up old parts before introducing a new style part. I saw this in person in the late 70s and early 80s.

VPH-D

I have a 1951 FL also and this issue of the 3 rib fender just keeps comming up. Although I don't doubt that there "original paint" 51's with the '52+ single rib rear fender, the evidence of the quantity of old photographs, factory photos, remaining '51's and the factory intended configuration says the 3 rib fender is correct for 1951. It's quite possible that late '51's were fitted with the '52 single rib fender because it did offer better tire clearance and could be considered an improvement, (although I think the 3 rib looks better than the single rib fender). It's also possible that the "original paint" 51's with the single rib fender are bikes that got bopped in the rear after 1952 and had a factory replacement single rib fender put on in place of the obsolete 3 rib fender. If I was putting a 1951 together today, I would be looking for a 3 rib fender.

Comment

I'm curious since I also have a 51, are you refering to the moldings used near the tail lite? Mike

Comment

Mike, the ribs we're refering to are located on the front left side of the rear fender where the fender is recessed for the drive chain. On 49-51 fenders, the panel has 3 formed ribs to stiffen the flat panel. On '52+ fenders, the flat panel was abreviated and only one rib is featured.

Comment

Mine has just one rib. MJW

Comment

there are photos in palmers of a 50 production police bike with 3 rib fender and rear siren and a 51 production police bike with a 1 rib fender and rear siren. This made me certain that some bikes left the factory in 51 with 1 rib fenders. I have spoken to a man in australia who has an all original, very late ( one of the last 300 made for the year) 51 with a 1 rib fender. you can see our conversation in this forum under the heading 51 mid-year changes .
            Brian

Comment

Working...
            X