Sportster Internal Throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Internal Throttle

Hey guys, I am in search of an internal throttle assembly for a 1957 Sportster. I need the complete right side throttle set up and also I was reading an old cycle magazine and saw that the left hand grip was also a twist but this was for advancing the distributor. Now on my buddies sportster he manually advances the distributor before starting by reaching down and turning it but I guess they had it set up with a cable for the left side hand grip. Anyway I need both of these. If anyone has something like this or knows where to find a complete unit, please let me know.
    Thank you

-Paul

JP Cycles sells those parts.

Comment

medical advice

I would retard the spark so I don't play superman. been there done that, even rode in a ambulance but wont do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoore View Post
        I would retard the spark so I don't play superman. been there done that, even rode in a ambulance but wont do it again.
        Was that the time you were launched through grandma's chicken coop roof?
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======
        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I'm sure I cleared the coop as I had no splinters but it did happen so fast. I was just checking the plugs after a high speed run(alongside the road) as I was checking the carb out for a friend. turns out he had a fixed mag. A few months later he joined the superman club and then sold the bike. He opted for a new low rider with a button starter. I do have a mag on my 68 IH but I retard the spark EVERY time I even think about starting it.it hurt like heck but you know what? it was funny (now)

Comment

Originally posted by mmoore View Post
            I'm sure I cleared the coop as I had no splinters but it did happen so fast. I was just checking the plugs after a high speed run(alongside the road) as I was checking the carb out for a friend. turns out he had a fixed mag. A few months later he joined the superman club and then sold the bike. He opted for a new low rider with a button starter. I do have a mag on my 68 IH but I retard the spark EVERY time I even think about starting it.it hurt like heck but you know what? it was funny (now)
            Did you also opt for the accessory limp?
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

yea but it did not last long that was about 25 years ago 7 years ago a fall smashed my knee cap into 17 pieces (another ambulance) had 2 pins put in then a year later had them removed so now you understand if you see me why im a left leg kicker. however this year i think i can use the right as the limp is almost gone.

Comment

Been there/done that as well. Now, almost 40 years later, my right knee offers a daily reminder. AMCA-correct or not, I installed the 1965 and later advance plate mechanism and left handlebar on my '64 XLCH.

Bill Pedalino
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

Who sells the spark advance conversion advance plate? I need one to convert my fixed mag 1960 XLCH into a better running (and starting) machine.
                  George Tinkham
                  Springfield, IL
                  www.virmc.com
                  AMCA # 1494
                  1941 Indian 841
                  1948 Indian Chief
                  1956 H-D KHK
                  1960 CH
                  1964 BMW R69S
                  1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                  1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Im not sure if anybody makes a conversion maybe somebody here might know but you can look at a parts book and see if you can fit a manual advance brackett and use that. It was stock on my 68 xlch

Comment

I believe that Morris Magnetos repops all the XL Mag mounting parts.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I usally try lonnie at antique cycle supply. he gets a lot of nos stuff that always looked new. he searched for quite a while to find a key and switch for my mag but he came thru so now I dont lug a log chain around. this was a real blessing as my gaurd dog of the last 7 years has gone deaf.

Comment

I bought the conversion pieces from Sporty Specialties and plan on buying the internal parts (and handlebars) from Antique Cycle Supply. I prefer to buy American made parts if I can, and all these parts are made here in the States.
                          George Tinkham
                          Springfield, IL
                          www.virmc.com
                          AMCA # 1494
                          1941 Indian 841
                          1948 Indian Chief
                          1956 H-D KHK
                          1960 CH
                          1964 BMW R69S
                          1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                          1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
                          X