Gas Leak Fixes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Leak Fixes???

Every time I park my Panhead in the garage after a ride I turn off the fuel petcock on top of the gas tank. But it doesn't take long for the garage smell too much like gas. So I checked the carb and found it wet with gas.

I know the new gas is pretty bad, and we set the float on the carb accordingly.

What's the best way to stop this? Should I consider new fuel lines or some sort of new gasket on the fuel lines or ???

Thanks for all advice on this. I can't stand my garage smelling so strong, especially as it is attached to my house near where my kids sleep.

Floats are not set differently for different 'pump' fuels, as the differences in specific gravity are negligible.

....Cotten

Comment

Buzz, Sounds like you have a petcock that doesn't shut off completely and some sort of problem with the float and or needle and seat. Modern gas doesn't smell as good as it used to. I would start by checking the petcock, and work my way down. I have been having some trouble with the crush gasket at the bowl nut. Check to see that the gasket is installed with the seam side up.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten
        Floats are not set differently for different 'pump' fuels, as the differences in specific gravity are negligible.

....Cotten
        Right you are. However, the modern floats are a different weight then the old ones and I am told need to be set up differently. Yes? Thanks.

Comment

Not the float I sent you a few years ago,....
          and never heard back

Did you break it or what?

It was a $40 piece of machine work.

You should have appreciated it.

...Cotten

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten
            Not the float I sent you a few years ago,....
            and never heard back

Did you break it or what?

It was a $40 piece of machine work.

You should have appreciated it.

...Cotten
            If you sent me one years ago, I do not remember. Chalk it up to a senior moment for me. No, I am referring to another float I bought and paid for to replace an old one that swelled up and jammed in the carb when the new gas did its thing.

If you sent me a float years ago, I might have installed it in one of my other bikes. But I simply do not remember.

Thanks either way.

Comment

Working...
            X