65 tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 tachometer

trying to locate a a tach for a 65 glide, I have one that is supposed to be a for a 65 fl, but the new cable I bought does not fit, so I'm wondering if this is the wrong tach

Does it screw into the top of the circuit breaker?

.....Cotten

Comment

The tach was made by Smiths, of England, IIRC. I think it is the same as a Sportster tach. I'm going from memory here. T tach does drive from the timer cover.
      VPH-D

Comment

yes , it screws to the top of the point cover. well I guess I do have the right tach. As it is made by smiths of england. it looks like it does have the bar and sheild at the bottom, but no mention of harley anywhere on it. I tried a tach cable I bought for J & p it worked for a little while then went dead.

Comment

I think this is what the correct tach looks like (came out of a 92051-65 box anyway) ... Perry
          Attached Files

Comment

yup, same one I have

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Ruiter
              I think this is what the correct tach looks like (came out of a 92051-65 box anyway) ... Perry
              know of anybody selling these tachs ?

Comment

Sorry, don't know of any for sale ... Perry

Comment

You might try Speedometer Solutions in Milwaukee at 414-463-6660. It looks like they repair tachometers. I have seen early tachs at swap meets, but you're taking a chance they work.
                  VPH-D

Comment

So, does this tach face mean that this logo (below) was introduced in '65?

Thanks in advance,

...Cotten
                    Attached Files

Comment

'60's HD logo

Cotton,
                      According to info found on another website, Harley started using that logo in 1964. I've heard lots of guys call it the AMF logo, but I remembered having a patch with that logo way before AMF, so I checked it out.
                      Doug.

Comment

Working...
                      X