Clutch drag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch drag

I'm looking for a sulution to my clutch draging on my 65 pan. I put a new 5 stud "tiwan ted" clutch hub on because the pins had grooves worn into them and I thought that was my problem. Over the past 5 years and 8000 miles I replaced the primary chain with a diamond chain and put in a m-6 chain tensioner, Updated to a 68 and up clutch using 5 new friction plates and adding 1 steel plate aliminating the -41 cushion plate and put in new springs. I alined the engine sprocket with the clutch sprocket as directed in service manual,cleaned clutches each time I took it apart, checked plates and discs for flatness.
    All of these things were done at different times and never made much improvement. I relize this is an inherated problem but was never a problem on other bikes I have owned in the past. The last thing I did was the hub replacement and now it is worse than ever, it is very hard to find nuetral when I come to a stop and hard to shift into second gear.
    I'm thinking about trying another clutch setup like the the sifton diapfram clutch for 41 to 84 BT that v-twin sells, part#18-0540, repairing my oem hub and reusing it.
    I don't have alot of time to be experimenting so any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Years ago I had a shovelhead with a Sturgis™ primary belt drive. It had the "hard to find neutral" and "creeping at a stop light" syndrome. Looking at the primary drive with the outer cover off I could see the belt would sometimes rub against the back side of the clutch basket forcing it outward thereby taking up the free space a disengaged clutch needs. I solved the problem by fractionally filing the slots in the tranny mounting plate (and frame fifth mount) thus allowing the tranny to move ever so slightly toward the primary drive.

I've never tried one, but today I'd probably put in The Tamer™ which should prevent the clutch basket from "walking" out of the disengaged position ... Perry

Comment

Hi Rick..... I had all the same problems you have describe with your bike on my 56. I spent hours playing with clutch adjustments and such. Never seemed like anything helped. I finnaly got myself the "Tamer" and have had no trouble since. I've got about 3k on the bike since installing the "Tamer" and can easily find nuetral anytime I want.

The only down side of the "Tamer" for me, is now when sitting still with the clutch in there is a rattling sound coming from the clutch basket.

Perry.... Thanks for the idea about filing the slots in the tranny mounting plate. I never thought of that. My belt is just barely riding against the hub. It hasn't been a problem yet but it is one of those things I think about while free wheeling down the interstate. -Steve

Comment

My brother has a 'Tamer' in his 49, and he likes it. Apparently, it keeps the drum from walking back and forth.
        VPH-D

Comment

Rick
          There are many "fixes" from the aftermarket for your clutch problem. I have had great results from using the long rollers along with the clutch hub retainer . It does the same thing as the "Tamer" but a much simpler method. BUT since you have gone to the 5 stud you will have to go with the Tamer. Also make sure the clutch hub lining is good. Here is a link to a catalog so you can see some of these products.

http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs...l.asp?page=689

http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs...l.asp?page=690

Comment

Steve - I don't know if filing the slots will work on your 56. You've got a "real" tranny mounting plate (two thick steel plates welded together) and the tranny case has alignment "ears" cast into the bottom. My 78 had the flimsy pressed steel mounting plate (maybe 1/4 the thickness of your's) and no alignment "ears" ... Perry

Comment

I know the book says the end of the clutch releasing arm should be 4 1/4" from the shifter housing, but mine chatters and grabs when adjusted that way, I've had better luck with a smaller number like 3 3/4". Don't ask me why, Mike

Comment

My Brother put a Rivera diaphram clutch in his '59, and say's it solves all the standard panhead clutch woes. He says its real smooth, and highly recommends it. Unfortunately we live several States away from each other, so I can't try it, but I'm thinking of switching over to one this winter. Nuthin' worse than a rocker clutch that chatters and grabs.
                Doug.

Comment

Working...
                X