"The Indian Magazine" circa 1948

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Indian Magazine" circa 1948

I have seen a publication that I wasn't aware existed. Titled "The Indian Magazine" this one is dated July/August of 1948 and is Vol. 1, No.1.

It is a very nice and well put-together magazine with good information, although it is a company mouthpiece similar to the H-D Enthusiast.

I'm curious: How long did this magazine last and how many issues in total? Did it go for years or was it short lived?

Inside it says that it would run bi-monthly, which in this context must mean every 2 months or six times a year, but did it?

The editor was W.W. Scott and writers of articles included Fritsie Baer, Graham Walker, Floyd Clymer, and one of the AMCA founders, Theodore A. Hodgdon.

This premier issue features the new middle-weight Arrow single and vertical twin Scout. At one time I had one of those Scouts. My only Indian (except for a 1919 v-twin engine that I once had).

HC why have you limited your scope???Only one Real MC????You HD fellows are all alike Just Kidding Im sure you understand! Whats the chances of seeing this mag?? maybe a few pics posted here ?? Thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT
      HC why have you limited your scope???Only one Real MC????You HD fellows are all alike Just Kidding Im sure you understand! Whats the chances of seeing this mag?? maybe a few pics posted here ?? Thankyou
      Yes, I understand completely. But I am becoming more interested in Indian. And Indian also figures significantly in another project that I'm working on and that's how this mag came up. I'm trying.

Have you even seen "The Indian Magazine" circa 1948 or were you aware of it?

I have a photocopy of the first issue and I can probably shoot some images, but it won't be the original.

Anyone know the run of "The Indian Magazine"?

Comment

the indian

there is an issue on ebay now # 170132764785 .i have had issues of the indian motorcycle news,as far back as 1908.maybe this mag replaced the news.

Comment

HC,word of caution I was also a HD nut had blinders on and when Fours were 10000 wouldnt look at them or skirted Chiefs always said skirts are for women, then another friend whom I got interested in Antique MCs gave me a 1951 Cheif to use for one summer...the rest is history so they say ....so be careful....I still do have HDs in the Box but really do enjoy my Indians much more.

Comment

HC, I have three issues volume 1 #s 1,2 and 3. I have never found any others. not sure what the lifetime was. Robbie

Comment

Re: the indian

Originally posted by jurassic
              there is an issue on ebay now # 170132764785 .i have had issues of the indian motorcycle news,as far back as 1908.maybe this mag replaced the news.
              Looks like it did replace the Indian News. Nice big format and good contents and seemingly timed to coincide with the launch of new vertical single and twin Arrow and Scout models. New bikes. New publication.

Comment

Originally posted by Rub
                HC, I have three issues volume 1 #s 1,2 and 3. I have never found any others. not sure what the lifetime was. Robbie
                So there were at least 3 issues published. I wonder if that was it or it went further?

The Clymer piece in #1 is good. He even mentions the names of other brands. Gasp! Harley would never allow that. There is also a touch of English bike-ness to it that was really a sign of the times.

I wonder what #2 and 3 were like?

Comment

HC,word of caution I was also a HD nut had blinders on and when Fours were 10000 wouldnt look at them or skirted Chiefs always said skirts are for women, then another friend whom I got interested in Antique MCs gave me a 1951 Cheif to use for one summer...the rest is history so they say ....so be careful....I still do have HDs in the Box but really do enjoy my Indians much more.
                  You might be right. Indian is an ultra-historic name and there are gaps that need to be filled. I've done a little digging in one area and it is interesting and may end up in a real story.

This 1948 publication is for another subject that does give Indian credit for instigating a trend that sent Harley into a tizzy for one last final time in their long history together.

It makes one sad that Harley is so successful today and the Indian had to give up the ghost. But you guys are keeping Indian alive and that is a good thing.

Comment

George Yarocki's literature catalogue lists three issues (unfortunately his web site:
                    http://www.oldmc-lit.com/catindex.html
                    doesn't list the details (yet) that his hardcopy catalogue has. Issue 2 was "The inside story of the Indian Arrow" and Issue 3 was "The modern shunt generator" ... Perry

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Ruiter
                      George Yarocki's literature catalogue lists three issues (unfortunately his web site:
                      http://www.oldmc-lit.com/catindex.html
                      doesn't list the details (yet) that his hardcopy catalogue has. Issue 2 was "The inside story of the Indian Arrow" and Issue 3 was "The modern shunt generator" ... Perry
                      That's two sources now telling of 3 issues.

The "Inside Story of the Indian Arrow" sounds interesting considering that Indian was betting the farm on these new vertical models. Issue 1 told how successful motorcycling was in England with the implication being that British type bikes were the way to go. My guess is that #2 followed on that theme.

Comment

It almost sounds like pre-hype for the product that was to follow,good advertizing id say!get everyone on the bandwagon so to speak!

Comment

It almost sounds like pre-hype for the product that was to follow,good advertizing id say!get everyone on the bandwagon so to speak!
                          It really did sound good. They cited how many bikes there were in England and that given the right machines (not big 61 and 74 inch "monsters") the sport could grow wildly here too. Plus those vertical Indians were nice looking bikes.

Comment

I see in an older issue of The Antique Motorcycle a short article on the Indian Magazine. There too it says only 3 issues were published.

Rogers promised to spend a ton of money publicizing the new vertical twin and single and The Indian Magazine appears to have been a part of that effort. When the money dried up this impressive publication also vanished. Too bad because it was a nice effort.

Comment

Working...
                            X