Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding cadmium plating

Hello,

just having some parts on the bench that should be cad plated originally. But unfortunatley cad plating is only available to aerospace industry or industry in general here in Germany as the process is environmentally damaging.

So the question is: Is it possible to have those parts dull chromed (which looks almost like cad plating) without getting a deduction at the judging ?

Thanks and best regards,
    Axel

cadmium plating

Axel
    the rule state "the finish must look like the factory finish.
    stainless spokes can be glass beaded to look like cad, stainless bolts and nuts can also be reworked to look correct. other parts should "look like" cad
    hope this helps
    Kevin

Comment

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the answer.

Cheers,
      Axel

Comment

Cad plating

How about a source for cad plating?

Comment

Re: Cad plating

Originally posted by Kozy
          How about a source for cad plating?
          Hi Kozy,

yes sure ! Where ?

Regards,
          Axel

Comment

Plating source

Sorry Axel. I was asking whether someone could recommend a source.

Comment

Re: Plating source

Sorry Axel. I was asking whether someone could recommend a source.
              OK, misunderstood you...

Anyway, good idea, maybe someone knows someone...

Cheers,
              Axel

Comment

It's a long way to send it but if you can find nothing better "Safe Air" at Blenhiem here in NZ will still do cad for the general public.
                They do an excellent job and if you are interested I will put you in contact with Graeme Andrews who is in charge of their plating division.
                As far as I'm aware they are the only company still doing cad plating in NZ.
                Hope this helps, Tommo

Comment

Tommo how far from cambridge is the cad plater?? For that matter how far are you from cambridge? I will be visiting there within the next 6monts if all goes well

Comment

Inline,
                    Cambridge is about 5 hours drive north of me, about 250 miles but our No 1 highway is nothing like an interstate so it takes a lot longer to get from A to B over here when compared to the USA.
                    Safe Air is at the top of the South island about 2 hours drive from me but you also have a 3 hour ferry ride to get across the ditch.
                    If you are coming let me know some details and we can show you around if you like. There's a bed here if you so desire.
                    October 12th 13th 14th is the big swap meet in Christchurch and Sept 9th is the motorcycle only swap meet in Hamilton.
                    Don't expect anything like Davenport but I think you would be surprised at how low some of the prices are compared to the USA.

agubitz,
                    Sorry about getting off the subject here. Now back to cad plating.
                    Regards, Tommo

Comment

Tommo will let youknow when it is going to happen,we have alot going on but its hard to refuse free lodging from our friends there and the promise of use of one of their HDs (wish it was an Indian but Ill make an exception!) Thankyou for your more than generous offer,time permitting Ill make it a point to stop and chat with you!
                      Im also sorry for being off topic

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo
                        It's a long way to send it but if you can find nothing better "Safe Air" at Blenhiem here in NZ will still do cad for the general public.
                        Hi,

thanks for the info. I'll still wait a bit, I'm in contact with a german company, they do cad plating for small parts (bolts), maybe I can have them make the bigger parts as well. If not I think I will go for matte chromed. Saw an example of both cad an matte chromed yesterday and in fact the difference is not too much (cad is more "flaky"...).

Cheers,
                        Axel

Comment

Cad plating/Matte chrome

How is the matte chrome differant from polished chrome? same plating process minus the buffing? Or is the material used in the plating process differant?

Comment

Re: Cad plating/Matte chrome

How is the matte chrome differant from polished chrome? same plating process minus the buffing? Or is the material used in the plating process differant?
                            Hi,

matte chroming is done - as far as I understood - with the same materials. The difference is that the item to be chromed is not polished before and after the chroming. It is sand blasted before the chroming so a light uneven surface is established.

Cheers,
                            Axel

Comment

Cad plating/Matte chrome

Thanks Axel,
                              I have a reasonable source for chrome plating. I'll see if they're willing to help me experiment with a few trial pieces. Should be even more resonable if he doesn't have to polish as much!
                              Thanks again,
                              Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X