Scout 741

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scout 741

I purchased a 741 bobbed bike awhile ago. It was said to have been bored out to 37". When I ride it on the highway I'm lucky if I get up to 60 mph. Is this a normal max speed for this bike set up? Also if I ride to long at that max speed I get alot of oil comming out of the distributor and the back of the oil pump. It is like the breather can't keep up. I took the pump off and blew out the breather holes and replaced the oil pump gasket, because they had the wrong style on it, but didn't seem to help. For riding around town it isn't a problem or when no body else is on the highway and I can take my time and enjoy myself. But when there is traffic on the highway and I try to not make so many other people made, by driving to slow, I have the problems.

60 is about right. An o-ring on dist shaft then inserted could help. Some sealant on outer edge of oil pump could help. Case screws are below surface?

About every 15-20min chop the throttle and su ck some oil up into the exhaust lifters. At susstained speed.

Do not cuise with full advance. It should be below half advance.

Kiwi and a few others are offering case breathers from what I understand. So you could use that and remove the copper diafram from oil pump. If you choose.

Anyone else?

Comment

I tried the breather from Kiwi and it actually made it worse so I went back to the disc. I was reading about a moto-valve. Are these available anywere and do they work? I'll try the other suggestions. It seems like if I don't ride with it at full advance it lugs. Maybe the timing is off.

Comment

I think 60mph is darn good and about the max, think thats asking alot out of that motor. My SS will run 60 ok but its a 45, it will run faster with no signs of stress - but I dont want to burn it up and I take it easy. Just my opinion - but I would not run a 37 that fast for sustained periods. I was always taught, run full advance, especially at speed. The traffic is a pain, I hear you there. I would pick my spot in the lane and make em go around me - or pick my route careful and slow down and enjoy the ride, good luck.

Comment

One other thing, as far as the oil leaks. Mine leaks from all over, more at speed, the guys in the chapter give me grief about it. But it always has and it runs fine. On a 1500 mile trip Tom Hart and I took my Scout used 11 quarts!! almost all I think was blown out or leaked out, you dont have to worry about a rust problem :-) His Chief used less than 1 quarter of a quart!!!! Think I have read it was always a problem with the Indians, made worse by increasing sustained speeds. My Scout has always done it - sometimes worse than others, but almost 20 years of running and its still going strong - no bad side effects that I know of. Except Tom Hart sometimes does not appreciate me keeping him so well oiled :-)

Comment

In lew of the continued purchase of replacement clothes for my lady friend. I think I've given the hot oil treatment to a couple of her shirts now. he hee hee... whoops! Perhaps its just another feable excuse for her to steal my clothes. geees....she looks better in them than I do. hee-hee....

Well, I have an oil leak out the left side main shaft bearing I think and maybe the inner primary which is only an oil slinger type thing. Not sure if I can put a lip seal on the main? But sure would like to do it. As it's traveling back to the rear tire. Not real safe.
            Well, I gotta pin point it first.

Yes, I use alot of 50 weight also.
            Attached Files

Comment

That's what really makes me nervous is my rear tire getting coated in oil. I pulled into a gas station last summer and a bunch of Harley guys came over to look at my bike and had to comment on all the oil on the rear tire. I do always make sure to were a black shift or jacket now after a runed a couple white ones.

Comment

For a MotoValve, email Duff

.....Cotten

Comment

Cotten, have you tried one of these motovalves or know someone who has?

Comment

I'd also like to hear of a first hand experience. anyone? I've heard mixed results.

Comment

There were issues with the early ones using a brass disc. Switching to stainless seems to cleared that up.

For firsthand testimonials, you might want to ask on the VIrtualIndian Mailing List .

....Cotten

Comment

Working...
                      X