cylinder resleeving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinder resleeving

The rear cylinder on my 64 pan, was broken, and welded at the skirt. The cylinder is ten over, I'm wondering about resleeving the cylinder. Does any one have any experience with this process?Also any recomendations, on who could do this type of work? Thanks Jim

L.A. Sleeve not only makes the quality sleeve that you will need for your cylinder, but they can do the work for you. Very pricey, but just about the same as if done locally by a competent shop. It's been some time since I've checked, but I believe they quoted $350 to $375 for two cylinders. This included machine work, parts, and shipping, I think. Best to give them a call for this info, and pricing on one cylinder.

Jack

Comment

Jim!

Beware that welding upon cast iron often "chills' it, making that region of the casting extremely hard.

Conventional sleeving techniques usually bore the casting with a carbide tool, however the hardening will cause a 'chatter' and excentricity in the cut.
      Any and all toolmarks will cause an insulating void between the casting and sleeve.
      Thus the bore for the sleeve will have to be cut dramatically undersize, so that it can be finished with a hone to a microfinish that not only enhances thermal conduction, but also facilitate the pressing operation dramatically.

Face it. You might as well just hone the welded cylinder to the next piston size and be done with it.

(Pistons do not have to match in size anyway!)

....Cotten

Comment

Cotten; I'm a little concerned about slipping that repaired cylinder back into a rebuilt bottom end. Seems like theres plenty of room to rebore, just worried about the repaired part on the skirt, breaking and falling into the bottom end. I'm no expert, just a fix-it-yourself kind of guy, so I don't know what it would take to break that piece out again, or why it was even repaired in the first place. The cases look fine no previous damage, so someone may have just dropped the cylinder? What kind of stress's are there on that skirt? It's the skirt that is damaged, thats why I thought about the resleeving, wouldn't that process replace all of the skirt with new metal? Thanks again Jim

Comment

Jim!

There are lots of inherit evils in sleeving, although occasionally necessary.

Overhead oiler Pans had unique cylinder castings, that aren't repopped (afaik), so
          I would have different welders examine the work before I could condemn it.

And no, the entire spigot should not be cut away for a standard sleeve.

....Cotten

Comment

I had the liner for my '65 get chipped when it was glass beaded in a tumbler. Darn car guys again! I just depends on how high the crack/chip is. Is it above where the rings go to? You can usually see that spot. They tell me mine will be OK. I am just going to smooth the edges of the chip. There really isn't too much stress down the, so............ I recently got a NOS rear cylinder on ebay. It is definitely cheaper and easier than a resleeve job. I thought I had a front lined up, but it was a communication breakdown. It was rear also. Oh well.............. I know a member who has a NOS bare front head for some bucks, but I can't afford to get too many spares.

Comment

Portagepan; I'd be interested in your buddies rear cylinder, would he be interested in selling it to a poor Minnesota boy? I hate to use repaired parts in something I ride almost every day, atleast when shes not on the lift. Thanks Jim

Comment

Working...
              X