"Patina" vs. dirt / dust / grime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Patina" vs. dirt / dust / grime

I have a nice, original, unrestored '61 Triumph T110 Tiger that I bought from the widow of the original owner, who imported it himself (along with a Bonnie and a Cub) by becoming a dealer and rode it till he parked it about 20 years ago.

It was very well cared for mechanically, and seems to be all original except the "Tiger face" tail light lens and a hoop frame for a windscreen.

I have carefully cleaned the carb & air filter, changed the oil, and adjusted the magneto points to get it running. The carb was quite clean, just a bit sticky, and the oil was relatively sludge-free and drained easily. It started on about the 8th kick and runs well, I had it out and up near 60 MPH with no issues.

MY QUESTION: Should I (A) wash the bike? It is quite dusty and a bit grimy under the engine and around the chain area. Or should I (B) just dust off the loose dirt and wipe off the accumulations of grime? Or should I (C) Leave it as it is?

My interest is in maximum value for resale, as it was purchased strictly to resell.

The underlying paint is in about 95% complete condition, some of the Gold lining is worn down near the knee area, and it has one 1" scratch/gouge on the headlight nacelle.

Follow up questions

Of added interest are qualified opinions of whether it might be worthwhile to refurbish the bike as far as tires, peg rubbers, etc.

Also, is this a bike that definitely has a higher value by being all original, or could it be worth more if it was painted, polished, etc.?

Comment

patina vs dirt

Grandpaul

LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!
      that looks like a real nice original

now we need you to come to some national meets and show us how to judge these bikes

Kevin

Comment

I agree ... don't do anything to it. Get to a few national meets and show it off, maybe get some awards, then you can resell it with bragging rights!

Comment

Hello, I too wouldn't restore a M/C like that and would enjoy it much more then a polished trailer queen. ...That was Harsh, sorry. Beauty is in the eyes of preservation. Keep ridin em, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

one more question

I keep my bike to a ready to ride level but have taken off several items and replaced them with period accessories. I keep all the old parts packaged. Some examples are Buco axle nut balls and nation bilt rails for the dash. I also wrapped the cables using period 2-color wire wrap, not JP cycle repops. Some of the rubber stuff like footpads, grips, and pegs are period stuff that had the same base Harley part number but a later - year number. The footpads, for example, don't have canvas backing. I am intentionally making the bike a bit guady like the personalized bikes seen in posters and pictures for the good old days. Remember "Tex's" bike and the wide eyed kids picture? Unfortunately, I have an original '63 Duo and many of these parts came from earlier years than '63...Cycle Ray headlight visor/ they went out of business in 1948. So, how would this be judged? I did corvette concouse and it was not fun. But you could get the NCRS judging guide to go by in preparation. I suppose this is the same?

Comment

If those parts were available from the dealer at the time as an accessory it should be ok. If it was earlier more than likely that the dealer had it available as a dealer accessory item. If it was later you couldn't get it when the bike was purchased it would not be correct. It ultimately should represent what was available for the period. It is good that you hang on to your original parts. If you want to have it judged the appropriate parts for that time will get your most points. Just ask yourself can this bike roll off the dealers showroom with this on it. Do your homework, get the supporting documentation to put into your blue folder if you have the bike judged. Denise

Comment

Yeah, I though so.

Thank you, Denise. it is pretty much like Corvette stuff but there, any diversion from the factory-delivered mold is penalized. I'm not in this for that, realizing that I am self-inflicting a lesser value on my bikes. I do have a sales reciept on my '63 dated 1966 in Wichita, Kansas. I am aware that the providence of the bike is valuable. Interestingly, there are "holes" in available information even from the few authoratative authors on motorcycles. The same is true for Corvettes but less so since they only started in 1953 with a single product line. I looked at a 2007 Vette recently and was doubtful I could turn on the radio successfully the first time!

It is interesting to hear from a woman. I think it would be true to say that vintage interest is usually associated with men. Within that are car and bike "guys." Some like the speed, others the prestige, yet others, the obsessive-compulsive relief of finding another part to achieve perfection.

As for me, my bikes and cars are time machines to occupy on trips to the past. Well, it is nice to be in small-town conversations about special interest stuff and be able to say, "Yeah, I got one of those," I must admit. Is that a guy thing?

So, it looks like I'll be going back in time on a 90-pointer.

Comment

Azpaul ... a 90 pointer your doing better than most! Only one of mine has been judged and thats because it was before me ! For the people that are in it for that ...more power to them, I like the ride back in time like you mentioned keep riding !!! Ok youve just bought a lets say 1949 Pan same owner from day one and he has added various do-dads over the yearsis the bike correct ?does it loose points because someone added new stuff over the years ??? Boy Im glad I dont make the rules Happy Riding !

Comment

preference

Actually, the Duo with buddy seat even rides better than my 2002 Road King. With that pogo and springs hooked up, I just float along bobbing up and down. Unfortunately, I run out of higher gears too soon with the Duo. Now starting the infernal beast?...I start the Road King next to the Duo so it knows what I'm looking for! Is there such as thing as a Duo-treat to get it to do tricky things like start??

Comment

Working...
                    X