servicar rear brake drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• servicar rear brake drums

I am trying to remove the rear brake drums from a 55 servi My Son and I purchased at Oley last weekend .
    It is a original paint (police ) servi that I beleive never had the drums off .
    After removal of the axle nut , the threads under the spacer looked new , so I throught it would be a easy removal , well after soaking it , tapping , heating with a propane torch , wheel puller and a combination of all above I cannot get these drums off ! I am afraid to it it to hard with the fear of busting the drum . I remember removing the same type brake drum off My 53 willys jeep easer that this servi . Any advice ?????

I had the same issue with my '56.

Unfortunately it took A LOT of banging with a mini sledge and finally they came off. But in doing so, I chipped off some of the outer lip. The machine shop was able to fix the now warped drums and turned the edge down.

Hopefully someone has better advice.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the reply , I am pulling off the wheel studs with a small wheel puller , I beleive I need a larger puller .
      Thursday I will try again , fixing the brakes will put this trike on the road . the motor looks to be untouched it smokes like heck ,but runs great . My 12 year old wants to run it around our property , Got to start them young , will keep you posted on progress Jp

Comment

If it's binding up on the keyway you'll have to shock it off.

See if you can borrow a hub puller that has a slide hammer atachment.

I hope you've got the nut on a couple of turns,when it goes it will break any bones that get in the way.

Comment

Heard horror stories of breaking axles during removing many times. Some folks believe the taper is for an interference fit. I say it is mainly for a solid centerline purpose. The nut and key do the real work of holding. For this reason, I suggest a very thin coating of never-seize when installing. For replacement axles, I recommend my wifes. She has them made here in the states. They are the best in quality. You won't break these. Replacement drums are another matter all together. If anyone is interested in learning more about my Ole Ladies axles, email me direct. Paps

Comment

Thank you gentlemen , Yes I don't want to break anything wanting to fix something . Paps ,did You ever use copper coat ?
            i am a electrical contractor and we use it in cell towers coax fittings.[when You see a cell tower the big fat black cables that run to the antennas , the fittings on the ends of these )
            copper coat can be found in a electrical supply store ,
            Excellent for electrical connections !!!!!!!!!
            Excellent for assembling parts that have to come apart in the future !
            I think it to be better than never seize !
            well back to the servi issue , I think i am going to try to to pump up the brakes without removing the drums , I disassembled the master cylinder cleaned and reassembled , bench tested , all looked good .
            keep you posted

Comment

drums are off without any damage !!!!
              rented a wheel drum puller , it took them off in 15 mins start to finish !!! best $12.59 I spent

Comment

Glad you got them off so easily. Yep...used that copper coat. Mainly on bolt threads. Have a small can of it somewhere around here. If I were to rate the two, I would have to agree with you. Never Seize gets chunky and difficult to spread thinly but it still prevents bonding if applied uniformly. Paps

Comment

If your Never-Sieze, or other anti-sieze compond gets dry and thick, try adding a bit of Kroil to it. Works wonders.

Comment

looks like We went from drums to anti seize !
                    But one more time a funny story ,
                    My Son age 12 , watched countless times the old Man applying copper coat to assembled parts , just this week he decided to disassemble His bicycle and reassemble everything with copper coat !!!!!!! I know You know how his hands and bike looks like now , Daddys proud !
                    See You at Rhinebeck Look for the silver servi

Comment

Paps

Comment

Words that will never be spoken by a servi car rider...

"I'm sorry officer, I did not realize I was going that fast."

I got mine on the rode today, what a blast!

Comment

Ratfink ,
                          question for You ,
                          with the master cylinder being lower than the wheel cylinders ,
                          bleeding the brakes by gravity is out .
                          now without buying a fancy break bleader , how do you bleed your brakes .
                          I have followed the ''old school way of break bleading '' but cannot get the pedal to pump up hard , as in a automobile .
                          is this normal .
                          I have done My share of bleeding breaks ,however this little break system got the best of Me last night .
                          p.s the machine stops ,but something don't feel right
                          Thanks , Jim p

Comment

If your master cylinder is in good order it will be easy to bleed the brakes.One side at a time open the bleeder, depress the pedal. Close the bleeder before you release the pedal. Repeat until you get fluid with no air, and then go to the other side. Go back to the first side and check to make sure no air from the other side entered that line. A piece of clear air line from an aquarium pump or something attached to the bleeder and a jar will make it easier to see the fluid and save fluid to reuse.

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a go !
                              I guess I was thinking to much , You know that complicated system circa '55 !

Comment

Working...
                              X