Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electronic ignition

Hy,

I currently think about modifying my 45 with an electronic ignition kit.
    Has anybody any experience with this kit ?
    Is it worth spending the money and is there any significant benefit except the easy maintenance ?

Appreciated any feedback.

Thanks

Oliver

Hi Mollo

I have had the 45 Parts Depot www.45partsdepot.com unit in my Pan for about a year. I have been very pleaed with it; no more points to set or condenser to wonder about,and timing is a snap with the built-in LED. Installation is easy and it all sits under the cover so nobody knows it's there. I have experienced better starting and over all the bike runs better with the EI than with points..

King

Comment

E ignition

Hey King, Can that unit be used with original coil? Been wanting one but heard you needed a different coil which kinda blew me away since I don't see why. Just curious. Chris

Comment

Chris

Here is what I understand about the subject. Any coil will work with the type of electronic ignition (EI) I have ( the 45 Parts Depot Model and the E-Beyond unit) but the EI will work best with a coil in the 3 ohm resistance range. Stock coils are in the 4.2-4.7 ohms resistance range. Use of the higher ohm coils apparently will damage late model EIs with the electronic module.

Most of the people that have responded to treads regarding EIs recommend the use of carbon filled plug wires and resistor spark plugs to avoid electronic interference with the EI.

I am using a round 6V coil that I got from NOS Parts which I assume is a 4.7 ohm model. I hooked it up to carbon filled plug wires (from NAPA) and use resistor plugs. Going on a year it all seems to be working well

As I said that is my understanding, but I would like to hear from others who are more knowledgeable than I am about the subject.

King

Comment

E ignition

King you obviosly know more about the subject than I do. I've converted to 12 volts and use a repop coil of unknown ohms,but 12 v. Looks like original for 46WL(I think) not round for sure. Got me really curious now since I really would like to do away with the points but stll keep the look of my coil. With luck one of the folks that know more about the subject will pitch in. Chris

Comment

Here's the specs on mine guys:

Specifications:
            - Temperature range : -20C <-> 80C
            - Operating Voltage : 4.5 Volt to 16 Volt
            - Maximum RPM : 9000 RPM
            - Coil resistance : for 6 Volt systems
            - 1.0 Ohm absolute minimum
            - Coil resistance : for 12 Volt systems
            - 2.0 Ohm absolute minimum

Kurt

45" Parts Depot

Comment

Thanks Kurt and all.

So Mollo -looks like you should be using a 12V resistive coil (modern) with your EI sys.

You should not be using a non-resistive "olderish" 12V coil. Which when measured would have a higher resistive Ohm reading across the pos/neg posts.

Comment

Hi Kurt

Thanks for the specs. I’m still a bit confused about the ohms. Definitely you can’t go lower than 1 on 6V and 2 on 12 but what are the upper limits? My EI from your shop has been performing faultlessly for the past year so I think the coil I have (4.7 ohms) is OK but I want to be sure.

King

Chris

You mentioned a square body 12V coil. Where did you get it and how is it performing? I’m thinking of going 12V soon and would like to get a square original looking coil for my 51FL

King

Comment

Working...
                X