Henderson in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henderson in progress

Just wanted to share a "before" restoration and one showing the progress as by so far. I am now doing the final assembly before getting the bike painted.

Regards
    Sverre K. Gerber
    Norway

Sverre, I love seeing pictures of bikes in process. Please keep us up to date on your progress. Also, tell us how the project has been going so far.

Comment

Henderson progress

Thanks for your reply on the photos Exeric.
      I forgot to say in my previous post that the prevoius owner stored the bike outside for 26 years. If you then take in consideration he lived 400m from the sea you understand why the bike looks a bit sad on the "before" photo. The bike was started the last time in 1949. As you see the engine is done but not yet started. Most of the parts are manufactured, wheels are redone, brakes etc. I work on plating the smaller parts and I still have to restore a Splitdorf generator that I have purchased and I have to complete the exhaust system.
      I have looked at the pictures of your beautifully restored 1917 in another post. Looks stunning to me.
      Sverre

Comment

Sveger, how are things progressing with the Henderson ? I see that you tackled the engine first which I have always thought was the smart thing to do. I never do that because I hate engine work. Actually I don't hate engine work but it seems that I have always had unusual bikes that are difficult to find parts for. For instance, I had a Henderson KJ about 20 years ago which had a Henderson Delux top end. I got KJ cylinders with it but I had to find everything else. The worst part was, it had Delux connecting rods on a KJ crankshaft. As you may know, the KJ has wide bearing journals. It's a wonder the Delux rods stayed centered on that wide KJ bearing journal and didn't go into a bind. It's hard enough rebuilding an engine without having to spend lots of enthusiasim draining time looking for parts. Fortunately, things have gotten much better in that department because people are reproducing such unsual parts.

By the way Sveger, what is that Harley J model in the background of you second photo? Looks like a racer.

Comment

Henderson progress and other projects

Hi Exceric, thanks for your thoughts regarding my progress.
          First of I agree with you in the fact that restoring a odd vintage motorcycle is far easier now than just 15 years ago. I started restoring bikes in ca 1980 where you had to write a letter to some foreign supplier that you had heard of or read an advert for in an magazine.
          Then it was just to wait for an answer and so on.
          No with the internet and webpages like this, the Kjex, e-bay etc. things are really easy. People on the other side of earth are as near you as your personal computer.
          The bike in the background is my try to make me a sporty Harley IOE, it is mostly made from mine and others leftover bits added with some repops from Geloman and some by myself.
          As soon as the Henderson is up and running this will be where I focuse.
          I have been quite busy with my Henderson the last couple of months, putting all parts together as last build prior to the paint job.
          I am a bit unsure if I am to make a cradle in wich I start the motor prior to installing it in the bike? What is your practice in this matter??
          I will try to add some pics of the Henderson as is right now.

Happy riding
          Sverre

Comment

Henderson progress and other projects

Hi Exceric, thanks for your thoughts regarding my progress.
            First of I agree with you in the fact that restoring a odd vintage motorcycle is far easier now than just 15 years ago. I started restoring bikes in ca 1980 where you had to write a letter to some foreign supplier that you had heard of or read an advert for in an magazine.
            Then it was just to wait for an answer and so on.
            No with the internet and webpages like this, the Kjex, e-bay etc. things are really easy. People on the other side of earth are as near you as your personal computer.
            The bike in the background is my try to make me a sporty Harley IOE, it is mostly made from mine and others leftover bits added with some repops from Geloman and some by myself.
            As soon as the Henderson is up and running this will be where I focuse.
            I have been quite busy with my Henderson the last couple of months, putting all parts together as last build prior to the paint job.
            I am a bit unsure if I am to make a cradle in wich I start the motor prior to installing it in the bike? What is your practice in this matter??
            I will try to add some pics of the Henderson as is right now.

Happy riding
            Sverre

Comment

Both real neat machines, wish you good luck with them. Really like that Harley too, looks too cool - Tom.

Comment

Sverre, I love your model J. Somewhere along the road I want to do a project like that. I love restoration but it is a very strict taskmaster that makes you do prescribed things in a very precise way. It would be fun to have a bike that allowed me to tap into the creative side of bike building. My first bike was a 1956 FL chopper that never ran well but was a lot of fun to build.

Regarding the running in of your Henderson motor. I saw a picture of a set-up in one of Otis Spiker's "Bulletins" that showed a Henderson engine being run-in with an electric motor. The Hen engine was positioned upside-down with the oil pan removed so the bearings were exposed. A rubber V-belt and pulleys connected the electric motor to the Henderson engine. I thought this was a very good idea because you could run the bearings in under very controlled conditions, especially if you used a variable speed electric motor.

I have one other bit of advice. Spend a lot of time examining your kick starter assembly. Make sure the starter jaws engage well and have clearence when disengaged. With the engine upside-down, you have an excellent opportunity to observe and adjust the functioning of your starter. I have found the starters to be the most troublesome sub-assembly of 4 cylinder motorcycles.

Comment

Love it! You've got some nice projects happening.

Comment

Hello Sverre ,
                    Thought it about time we had an update on how you are getting on with the Hen and J projects ???? Would be nice to hear , best wishes , Ken

Comment

Good call Ken. How about it Sverre, give us an update on the Hen and the Harley.

Comment

Hi Ken and Exceric, I truly apprechiate that you give me a kick and ask for a progress update.
                        Well first off, there have been summer (not that good weather here in south Norway, but still) and I do drive a lot with my bikes that are allready online. This a BMW outfit (my everyday ride), a BSA M20, a 1939 Harley W (my vintage favorite) and finally I have a 1927 JD that I have driven to at least one local rally.
                        I have never attended any rally if not by running the bike on either two or three wheels, never!
                        Well, the J boardtracker needs it wheels to be laced. I will use 21" drop center rims as I sure want to use modern tires. There is allso some parts that need to be bought, all availiable but beeing paid by the hour I need to priotity.

The Henderson, I have done some. I have fiddled a lot with the rear brake system to get that working, remember all parts except for the outher cover is made new. I still have a problem with the right side pedal to return even after I sun a fearly stiff feather for the rear.
                        Any suggestions in this matter would be appreachiated.
                        I have allso completed all the linkages for the gear and clutch etc.

Earlier Exeric advised me to keep an eye to the kick starter segment. This I found beeing no good on the first thoot indeed. I have hence got both parts new from easy russ Auto, great to have that source.

I have allso fooled a lot with the dash and all instrumentation and I have fabricated the universal bracket to hold the rear speedo gear. I am just now working on assembling all the speedo parts to see they play.

And, important!, I managed to find a parts De-luxe engine that no-one new of here in south Norway. This was a great relive as this make it more relaxing to use the bike later on. I was considering maybe building a complete spare engine, but I am not sure if I can afford it. Maybe in the future, I will need to track down quite a bit of parts still.

I have allso had the guy that is to do the paint job twice in my workshop, going trough details with the job.

The next thing is to make a jig to run the Henderson motor by an electic motor & gear, this when it is back out of the frame again.
                        I am worried to death regarding my motor that I feel is very tight. I think I mentioned this consern to Ken before.

Well, goal for next summer; drive Henderson!!!!

If anyone have facebook membership I have loads of photos from the Henderson restoration on my page, and I will get more.

Comment

Hi Ken and Exceric, I truly apprechiate that you give me a kick and ask for a progress update.
                          " There is allso some parts that need to be bought, all availiable but beeing paid by the hour I need to priority"

"I still have a problem with the right side pedal to return even after I spun a fearly stiff spring for the rear mechanism"

"I am just now working on assembling all the speedo parts to see they play together"

"This was a great relive to me as this make it more relaxing to use the bike later on"

"The next thing is to make a jig to run the Henderson motor by an elecrtic motor & gear, this when it is back out of the frame again

Well you guys could try in Norwegian!!!

Comment

Sverre , good to hear you are getting on well with the Hen , I too always ride everywhere , even when I tow my 1904 veteran behind my Sporty !! if I have a long way to go !! ,
                            Sverre , your English is very good , I appolagise for not being able to speak any other language .
                            I hope you can keep to your goal of riding your Henderson next summer !! Good luck , Ken

Comment

Another shot of Henderson in progress

Just wanted to shear another pic of my De-luxe. Now all technical issues still to be solved is limited to notes on a single sheet of paper.
                              The exhaust is done, electrics, controls etc.
                              Now I have to make myself strong to start picking everything apart for paint, sigh!

Happy riding to all.
                              Regards
                              Sverre
                              And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                              This is a great theory.
                              If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Working...
                              X