oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure

Hi Guys, I have been wondering for some time about my Hendersons oil pressure, it just seems low to me. I have only ridden with a couple other Hendersons. I know lots of things enter into this - but just curious what kinds of pressures you guys are running? My Deluxe was rebuilt in 97, I can run all day at 50mph or below and my oil pressure is at 15 to 18lbs. Thats when the machine is good and hot, I run 20/50 wt oil. If I really run at speed, my pressure will not hold up. It well take a dive, and fall close to nothing. At 60 or 70 or so, dont worry - I dont run at those speeds, but what I have read all seems to say the Hendersons could when new. So I just think something is not right. One time I had it on the freeway and ran at those speeds, the bike seemed fine - not pushing at all. But the oil pressure went south and I got off.
    I really cruise on the bike as I dont want to hurt it, just wanted to see how it would handle it. At 50 or below, its stays consistant. I know my rebuilder took out the retrictors in the crankshaft and I wonder now if that was a mistake? I have put 5,000 miles on the machine, with very few problems. Also I have ridden with two freshly rebuilt KJ's and I have always heard their oil pressure was better, bigger oil pumps? Well both of their KJ's had less oil pressure than my Deluxe! something not right there ? Also I think Indians four cylinders dont seem to have the same problem, their pressure holds up - the ones I have seen, opinions please thanks Tom.

Low/No Pressure

Is there nothing written anywhere in this regard?I question the use of a multi-grade oil.Is it now recomended because of the better qualitys in refining? The enginners put parts in for a reason,I would have been afraid to remove them myself.I'm not one who would dare to experiment.I trust that the rebuilders of your engine knew what they were doing.Have you checked your gauge?

Comment

Phone Ian Davidson in WA.
      or maybe that fella with the V6.and V8 Hend.
      Or the man who wrote the book.

That real estate fella Kevin (I think) from SoCal with KJ -upon break-in had some lube problems. Maybe he has some contacts?

Have you posted on the KJ Board? Report back if you get an answer. THat would be nice. I'm getting curious now.

Uhhhhh.... Mike Kane had some sim problems. I wouldn't push it above 55-60 for any lenght of time.

How does crazy Frank out east -have his racer set up? That may be worth looking into.

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys, I know some of those folks and well get their opinions. I have tried 2 different gauges, both same results. 20/50 wt oil is what the engine builder told me to use, so thats what I have done. I did'nt like the idea of taking the restricters out of the crank, but felt like I was not in a possition to question. As he had done more than 20 Henderson Engines and had 40 years as a automotive mechinest behind him. Also he was very highly reguarded.
        I am very pleased with the machine and it does everything I ask. I dont plan anymore freeway runs with it. Just thought something maybe not be right and maybe others might have the same kinds of thing going on. I have seen a couple with great oil pressure, but have not seen them going down the road, to see how their pressure really holds up. I meet one guy whos Henderson was restored 30 years ago, he has never ridden it more than 8 miles!!! So some people might have the problem and never know it. I think I read some where that they put the restricters in the cranks to up oil pressure - not sure though. Have not been able to find it again. Think its in my dealler notes somewhere, I will try talking to some of those guys, thanks. It might take some time, the bike runs great and I usually just cruise at 30 to 50mph max, so I am not worried, just want to try to come up with a pretty good idea whats going on.
        Also I am all wrapped up in tranny troubles, I have a 47 Chevy 2 ton tranny all apart in my garage right now :-0 Thats the most modern 4 wheeler I own, help me!! I like checking the forum for fun at night, Tom.

Comment

I'm not a machinist, engine builder or even a formally trained mechanic. but I do think logically....sometimes.
          It seems to me that restricters would be placed in the oil supply to force more oil to go somewhere else. Where might that be? Cam bearings perhaps?
          I play around with other "modern" bikes too. The Honda CBXs have a restrictor in the oil galley feeding the alternator drive. If it comes out, it will starve the cams' oil supply. Not pretty, as the cams ride directly in the head, no bearings.

Comment

Limbo oil How low can you go?

Most oil systems have a main artery which off of that have smaller veins to supply areas that require a weeping of oil.If these are resized the flow will be too great and lower the pressure farther along the path also the looser the fit of all components will allow for weaker pressure.We still haven't established what the pressure of this engine should be at the best of contitions.

Comment

I found some info today, where - my owners manual :-) I know I've read it several times before, but I swear I dont remember that part. It says on a hot day at 25 to 35mph you should have a good 5 to 8 pounds pressure! For high speed work you can adjust the pump for max pressure and pressures of 20 pbs and more are possible. I was sure surprised to see that in there. Also I talked to one builder today and he was telling me its a matter of pressure and flow. He was saying something about different ideas on which is better, more pressure or better flow. He kind of got over my head and lost me though, not to hard to do, I must admit. But I am trying anyway, going to talk to some more folks about it just cause its interesting.
              Several other things were changed in my engine, my flywheel was lightend 8 pounds, different springs, kevlar clutch plates, forged aluminum pistons, a few other things - have to check my notes. Though I was not sure about some of these things - I accepted his advise gladly. I was just hoping to have a running Henderson someday and the guy new what he was doing. When I went to pick the engine up, he was reving it higher than I ever well, had a big grinn on his face.

Comment

Tom , I think he had a big grinn on his face as he knew You'd be back for repairs someday , those little restrictions were put there for a reason , as rustyderby says , open an artery and it will bleed restricting flow where it will be needed , I run my DeLuxe 50 - 55 mph when travelling long way sometimes taking it to 60 or 70 briefly and oil pressure goes up , normal running is about like yours 18 -20 , but does go up to 25 at faster speeds , there has been discussions on types of oil to use on the KJ site , I have been using a good quality Diesel oil 15-40 for about a year or so (use it on other bikes too) with no problems , also use
                the orriginal all steel clutch (also all steel clutch in Ace and KJ) without problem , I had a kevlar clutch some years ago in the DeLuxe that I fitted but it disintegrated itself in about 8000 miles , my KJ runs with 50 to 70lbs oil pressure , Ace 25lbs , I hope you have yours all sorted now and you are enjoying it
                Good Luck , Ken

Comment

PS , you could try fitting the KJ oil pump which has wider gears and pushes more oil round , if you do , you'll need a bigger feed line too , maybe able to get from Bill Klein or Rob Olsen of Canada, good luck

Comment

Hi Ken, I agree I think the restrictors should stay in the crank. I have gotten several different opinions from some real knowledgeable folks and I dont know the right way to go. To each his own I guess, good news is my Deluxe is running like new. The way I ride it, I have had no problems - 6,000 miles done so far. My pressure stays constant at speeds of 50 and below and thats where I do 99 percent of my riding. Glad to see some movement on this section, Tom.

Comment

Hello Tom , It's always nice to hear updates and am pleased this is a good news one , glad it's running well , hope it continues to for many miles , perhaps that old edict of 'if it aint broke don't fix it' was meant for times like this , how about a pic of it on here or on the HendersonKJ site along with many others ? there is a page for ''other Hens'' besides the main KJ list , Good luck , Ken

Comment

Thanks Ken, my Deluxe is on the site in the extended virtual tour. Its pretty cool, you can spin it around, its not show quality or all correct. But I am real proud of it, painted it in my driveway. Assembled the chassie, did my seat , wiring, assisted a little with the engine - little things, fixing busted fins and such. I was grateful he let me assist alittle, just so I could see how things worked and the like. My Deluxe was about 90 percent complete - just completely apart.
                        It was also the most expensive machine I ever bought, the guy told me he would sell it to me for 9,000 bucks! I thought that guy is crazy!!! But then I read Golden age of the fours and I just had to have it It broke my bank account, but I am glad I got it and really like the machine. If I get some time I real try to figure out how to post a picture of it when I brought it home, take care .

Comment

Sorry Ken the Deluxe is not there anymore, the site has been updated. I have not checked it in along time, like I said it is'nt all correct at all, take care

Comment

Your bike is still there Tom ... Perry

Comment

Perry , hello , where ???? I cannot find it , Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X