Knuckleheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuckleheads

I'm reassembling a 1947 Harley EL basket case and have a question about the front and rear brakes. I've noticed that in both cases, the brake shoe pivot studs want to move around in their backing plate slots, even when the anchor nuts and locks are in place and snugged tight. Is this the way the're supposed to be? I can see where allowing the studs to move would allow the brake shoes to "search" for better contact with the drum. Then again, maybe in my case the slots in the backing plates are worn excessively. I can shim the pivot studs so they're rigid, but I don't see any such pieces shown in the parts catalog. I'm stalled. A few words of guidance from experienced Knucklehead restorers out there would really be appreciated.

There is a washer that goes over the end of the pivot stud that is rectangular in shape and has a slight curve on the top and bottom. This washer has a hole in it that goes over the step on the stud and has serations on the back side. After the washer goes a lock washer that has an oversize O.D. then a jam nut on the front and a fat nut with a radiused outside edge on the back. This hardware has the purpose of centering your brake shoes, after every thing is in place and assembled and adjusted properly, but the nuts are not tightened you elevate the wheel and give her a good spin, then hit your brake and hold it until you tighten the nut. Do the same with the other wheel. Congratulations you have correctly centered your brake shoes to the drums. Do it a few more time at diferent intervals if you have parts that are not familiar with each other as they wear in, but once they become acclamated they wil be as good as they ever where meant to be.

http://www.carlscyclesupply.com/

Comment

Thanks for the guidance, Carl. The only thing that troubles me is that none of the serrated "locks" I've purchased fit over the shoulder of the pivot pin. Instead, they bottom against it. I can drill them larger, but that doesn't seem right. My question is, are the pivot pins supposed to be able to move in their slot after the lock nut is securely tightened? Or are they supposed to be rigid once the nuts are tightened?

Comment

They are supposed to remain rigid after tightening. They are used to center the shoes after assembly to the wheel and control cable by loosing the stud nut while holding the control cable lever tight. The nut is then tightened while still holding down on the control cable lever. Shoes are now centered and stud is also secured in place. Paps

Comment

Thanks, Paps. Your directions make perfect sense. I'm just surprised that the serrated locks I bought don't have a larger hole in them. But I guess that's the world we're living in.

Regards,

JR

Comment

Just simplified what Carl said. Paps

Comment

Working...
            X