no-click tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no-click tranny

I built a 1964 pan out of swap meet part's. Finally have most thing's worked out, except one. I have no audibel click when I shift gear's. You shift, and the gear seem's to appear, but it take's forever, and is completely quiet. What's Wrong? Thank's Jim

There is a place in the front of the top cover for a ball and spring. The ball engages a series of detents in the shifter drum. Maybe your ball and spring are missing.

Comment

They may be to tight. The screw is adjustable for shifting tension. Play with it while shifting through the gears until you are content with how it shifts. Peen a few spots around the threads to hold it when you get the setting where you want it. The ball and spring locate and hold the gear positions. Without them the gears wouldn't stay in or locate properly. Paps

Comment

Is this something that can be adjusted on the bike, not alot of room to operate in? I've got the manual, so I should be able to work through the problem. Seem's pretty straight forward.Thank's for the help, having a starting point is half the battle. Jim

Comment

Yes.....do it with engine off. You may need to rock the bike to catch a couple of the gears but usually one gear is enough to set the tension. To tight [screwed in to far] makes for hard selector shifting. To little tension makes for little or no resistance in the linkage. The altimate setting will push the ball bearing into the shifter drum pockets just enough to hold the drum in place at the gear selected and yet enable you to select other gears with slight resistance as the ball bearing climbs out of the shifter drum pocket to the next shifter drum pocket gear location you select. There is a balance of tensions required to keep the gear in and to get the gear out. Make sure the hole the adjusting screw, spring, and ball bearing go into is free of dirt or the ball bearing can hang up and not operate properly. Paps

Comment

Working...
          X