Chrome Stripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome Stripping

I have a reproduction skull dash and square tool box that I'd like to have painted but are currently chromed. Is it better to have them stripped, or buy new raw ones?

I don't want to pay for shipping, stripping, etc. just to find they won't accept paint.

I twice have had to powder coat over chrome on some forks and also some paint on other items. I took it to a shop and had the parts blasted with a special media like walnut shells or something like that. The chrome needs to be good, not peeling. I used CAP'S here in Calif, 559-233-1461 ask for Ron.
    Never a problem with peeling paint later!

Comment

I would just have them stripped. A chromer will do it for you cheap since all their cost is in the labor of buffing.

Comment

Can steel pieces be parkeized after the chrome is stripped? Does stripping remove the copper and nickle?

Comment

My stripper removes the chrome and the nickle. As for the copper I just bead blast it off.

Comment

I've parkerized lots of stuff that was chromed. I tell the plater I want it back bare metal and I get it that way ... Perry

Comment

You can use battery acid diluted 50%, electrolytic. Hook your piece to the positive terminal, hook the negative terminal to a dummy piece of clean steel and immerse in the acid, keeping the positve and negative from touching. This will remove the nickel and chrome. To get the copper off, use houshold ammonia, no electrical current. The latter process is slow, however. I did my Indian speedo dash panel this way so I could weld up some holes prior to replating.

Comment

Swall
                I'm guessing DC current here . What do you use? Car battery? Battery charger? Rectifier? How many volts?
                How about a little more detail Please.

Comment

I have that proceedure hidden around here somewhere. I will look for it over the weekend. As I recall you use a 12 volt car battery and you do the job outside up wind of the fumes created. Don't forget about acid disposable problems also. Paps

Comment

Yes, 12volts,using a car or motorcycle battery. Process takes 5 to 10 minutes.Acid recipe from Caswell Plating is 3 parts acid to 1 part distilled water. I ran a little short of acid and used 2 parts acid to 1 part water. You need enough to completely cover the part.

Comment

An excellent source for this sort of information is Caswell's "The Complete Plating Manual" . It is free if you buy one of their plating kits and or you can buy the manual by itself for $25.

Comment

Can't the acid be nuetralized with baking soda and washed down the drain?

Comment

Anyone have any more info on this method? I have a couple pieces with older chrome on them that I need to strip in order to parkerize, this info would be very helpful if indeed it does work.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X