Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter

For quite awhile I've been fighting a problem with a very infrequent clank to absolute loud bang when I start my bike. Might do it first start,might do it hot or may not do it for months. About the only thing I haven't replaced is the motor itself. Heck I've almost convinced myself that it's just a quirk of these early lectic kickers. But in the back of my mind I know one day it's gonna leave me sitting on the road looking for a hill. It's a 78 FXE(not old enough to show but the technology is). Chris

Chris, Do you mean a bang such as the engine kicking back against the starter? If so look at your advance mechanism. In the '70's I worked on those bikes new and a common problem is the advance unit sticking which can cause enough kickback to break starter clutches. Especially common in often washed bikes! If the timing cannot retard properly it is an issue. Robbie

Comment

Starter

As a matter of fact it is now that I think about it. Duh! Can't be from washing but the bike is ridden alot and that means the inevitable rain storm. (Around here thats often) Stupid electonic ignition has let me forget about some important maintance. Will pop the cover,take a look and add a little lube to the little springy. Thanks loads. I'm betting thats it. Chris

Comment

try the starter. and or solinoid and jack shaft
        john renoe #1952

Comment

Rub is correct in his observation regarding the stuck advance weights. I also saw much of this back in the day.
          VPH-D

Comment

Working...
          X