1947 Knuclehead Gas Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Knuclehead Gas Tanks

Can anyone tell me what the left side tank looks like. I'm looking at a set on E-Bay but the left tank looks identical to a set of 48 tanks that I have. I've heard that the left tank has less clearnce than the pan ones. I also saw a left side only tank that was claimed to be 47 that had some sort of hash marks or indentations on the lower inside of the tank. If I have to pay high dollar for a set I just want to make sure they are correct.

Hello Gallen,
    Are you referring to Ebay #150047154463 ?
    I'm not familiar with the Seller, he claims they MIGHT be original paint, they aren't. Also, it appears the shifter
    gate area on the left tank has been filled in. I'd ask a lot of questions about dimensions & get more photos. If I remember correctly the main difference is the location of the fuel line out of the right tank in comparison to the Pan tanks. The earlier Knuckle tanks have the catseye dash recess. You are correct in that the '47 Knuckle tanks have less clearance for the heads, (Pans being bigger).
    Also, I've seen where '47 Knuckle tanks have been pounded in on the bottom to accomodate Panheads.
    A good set of correct "47 Knuckle tanks are hard to come by. Best of luck, Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,
      Thank you for your reply. No, those weren't the tanks I was talking about, I decided to let them go not knowing. I thought I would get more answers with all the hits I've received. I guess everyone was hoping I had a set for sale. I wish I did too,but I need to find a set for mine first. Thanks again. George

Comment

Hey George,
        I understand what you mean, I'm still waiting on a reply about an Oil Tank question.
        I know what your going through, i went though it a few years back. My tanks cost me a small fortune. I found a way to justify it. I can usually do that with bike parts, not anything else. You get used to Peanut Butter sandwiches after awhile. If I see any good tanks I'll let you know. Happy Trails, Bob

Comment

Gallen,
          This might help identify a right tank, The distance from the face of the lower tank mount bracket & the center of the fuel line mount is 2 3/8". I believe that's closer than a Panhead tank.
          Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,
            I understand about the right side tank( I should have made that clear). The left tank is the one that I really have the question about. How to restore your Harley says that the left tank has a closer fit than the panhead tank. He has no pictures to show the differance. Do you know how the 47 and 48 left tank is differant?
            Thanks
            George

Comment

The left tank does not have the dimples to clear the pan covers.

Comment

Thank You,
                Now I know what to look for!!

Comment

Found a set of tanks on EBAY. My checkbook didn't care much for them but they did turn out to be pretty good. After all they are 60 years old.
                  Thanks Bob and Carl for your help.

George

Comment

Working...
                  X