head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head gasket

On my 45" I am about to put my top end together and I am using copper gaskets, what type of gasket selant should I use if any? And my cylinders were honed a long time ago and then they sat for awhile, they developed a little rust and looks slightly pitted on one small spot, does anyone think that may have any impact on compression?

Nothing on the head gaskets.
    If you don't have a ball hone to clean the bore, some light emery paper will do fine.

Comment

Thanks alot D

Comment

Keep the change ;-)

Comment

I made three sets of 45 head gaskets from roofing copper(good heat transfer). Quenched in water. Pre- fit on heads. Lightly cleaned and sprayed with ahhh.... 3M Super 77, industrial spray glue. Thin layer-both sides just before install. Once installed, I let that set-up for 24hours. Scrape squished glue away to make pretty.

Never had a head leak with this process. James gaskets just didn't do it for me. They are thick (insulated) and a one use deal.

I think some guys are leary of coating with anything as it will impeed heat transfer. I understand that. I consider this old porus warped stuff a great excuse for something to go wrong. I don't like doing things more than once.

Comment

45 valve springs

Thanks fellas for input I have one more concern about top end. I read in victory library that k-model valve springs can be used for higher tension on valves. I have hopped up motor a little and last time I rode I didn't have any problems with stuck valves or anything. But I want to do everything possible to achieve max output from the ol 45. I have k-model intake cams and oversize exhaust valves. Would there be any harm in using k mod springs? Or has anyone done it with no problems?

Comment

At very high RPM the valves will start to float. Or your motor will grenade. One or the other. Hee-hee....

The higher tension spring will give you a little more top end. I would carefully check to ensure the springs have proper clearance and do not bind.

Perhaps welding the valve stem collet retainers into place would be smart.

Anyone else?

Comment

Working...
              X