Lousy Linkert parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lousy Linkert parts

In the late 80:ies when I rebuilt my '52 Panhead, I just "dropped in" a V-Twin repair kit into the Linkert carb. That means I did not modify, correct or remanufacture the new parts in the kit like the float and the 1273-33A needle valve & seat assy. And I never thought about the carburator anymore, just rode the bike.
    A few years later I bought a couple of similar kits for future need. This year I opened the boxes as I needed these parts for a Flathead carb that started to leak gas. It turned out that the needle valve seat had wrong, non specs threads both in the upper end, that goes into the bowl, as the other end where the filter assy is attached. And the part in the other box had the same problem!
    The original problem with the Flathed was the repro brass float acquired a couple of years ago from an other source. It has a hole! So it sank like Titanic. The hole is so small, that after two years on the shelf, it is still full of gas. It does not come out. Last week a buddy of mine had the same problem with a current V-twin brass float. It sank after 3 weeks. It was packed in a similar flat round plastic "medicine case". These are obviously no good, so where do I find the grey hard material float that been floating in the Pan carb for nearly 20 years now?
    Through the years we have seen floats that swoll up and stick inside the bowl or disintegrate in modern gas.
    And who has the needle and seat that fits the threads. Also the needle should not have a rubber end, that swoll up. The end should be machined in steel with a correct fit. The other end on many needles we have seen is poorly made and the float lever can not move in the intented way. The float lever pin is also poorly made in all part kits I have seen. And does anybody make a float lever?
    I meen, when someone makes the trouble of remanufacturing these very important pieces, why not make them correct?
    Fiskis

AMEN !

Comment

http://www.45partsdepot.com/45parts/indexexp.html

It seems that most of the cheap brass floats are made using brass and solder that disolves in unleaded.They are also made larger to maintain bouyancy.This reduces reserve in float bowl.
      The above company do a cork one that they say has been tested in modern fuels.

Comment

Check with Cotten he has the best floats in the world!

Comment

I have one of Cotten's floats and have not had any problem with it at all. Adjustment is simple and it really works.

Comment

Fiskis,
            Go to the vendor's rated section of this forum. Check out Liberty Motorcycle Specialties. I'm running Cotton's floats in several bikes and THEY WORK!!! Spend a few bucks extra and purchase a new screw and sleeve nut from him, it will save the time and risk of fitting your sleeve nut to the "durable" yet more fragile than brass float. Good luck on quality repro needles and seats, i'm still looking also. Also you can expect to make minor carb. needle adjustments after installing the "durable " float. The additional volume of fuel in the bowl makes an improvement in performance. Good luck johnny

Comment

Needles & seats

Fiskis-
              I feel your pain, brother.

They're right about the float from Cotten. Either buy one of those floats or convert to fuel injection.

I also have the Swell-Master viton needle and seat in my carb. I bought a steel needle and brass seat, but the surface on the needle looked like it was made in a pencil sharpener with a few missing blades.

The seat didn't look like a seat at all, just a drilled hole with no beveled surface to accept the needle. I had to look at it with a 10X jewler's loupe to see it. Looking back, it seems like a lot of things started to work out better after looking at the parts with that lens.

I did try to lap the needle and seat but just succeded in scoring the needle, so the rubber one went back in.

The frustration you're experiencing isn't limited to carb parts. I'm at the end of my HD 45 bobber project and will soon post a listing of defective parts I've received and their prices.

I'm told this isn't as much of a problem in the Indian arena. What's their secret?

Hmmm...6 volt fuel injection. TTL logic runs on 5volts.. independent injectors eliminating manifold sealing problems...bead blasted brass and aluminum....yeeeesssss...

Comment

Sadly, I think some retailers do not check parts for fit and finish when received from suppliers, and clearly -some just don't care. Considering the number of minimal returns - why would things change?

Buy from a reputable retailer with good service and parts. This doesn't mean the biggest with the most selection. Small is good. A small retailer will take care of you -cause he wants your business!

Some Indian stuff is a little off. Generally it's pretty good due to the fact that it's produced in much smaller batches. Costs more in most cases. The community is much smaller. Word travels very fast amongst riders. Some retailers have certain parts that are better than a competitiors. It's just who has what, and what accually works. I'm always thankful when someone makes an investment in a large run of something. Like the Indian/Edison replica spark plugs that are out now. Or the CE Generators. Or something that they realize will take many years to unload - but still bite the bullit and try to spread the product around to other retailers.

Comment

Thanks everybody for sharing my frustration. One supplier promised to send a tested unsinkable float and a needle valve assy. of desired quality. With a little luck they can be tested before the riding season is over. This weekend the weather changed to rainy autumn after an unusually warm September. Got to try Cotten's floats too.
                  Fiskis

Comment

Re: Needles & seats

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rex
                    [B]Fiskis-
                    I feel your pain, brother.

They're right about the float from Cotten. Either buy one of those floats or convert to fuel injection. (shortened quote)

Well I finally got a needle assy from Steve of VL Heaven and so far everything seems perfect,, excluding that we got snow early this year, and I have not been able to make a good test run. Cotten sent me a couple of floats, one of which is to be installed in a 45 which suffered from the "Titanic syndrom"
                    So the light in the tunnel is not from an approaching expresstrain after all.
                    Fiskis

Comment

Working...
                    X