VL Flywheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Flywheels

I am working on a 30 VL basket case starting on the motor parts saturday nite making a list of missing and needed parts I was looking the flywheels over and am seeing things that concern me.

The motor was completely disassembled when it was purchased

The larger or thicker wheel is 2 1/8 thick and is 8 1/8 on the outside diameter it has a "C" stamped on the top where the rods come between the wheels.
    On the side it is stamped 150 then there is a hole thru the wheel and a "T" stamped next to that across on the same side there looks to be a "H" and "D" stamped in the wheel
    There is NO casting # 150 30 J on this wheel anywhere like I have seen in photos and in Steves book.

The smaller or narrower wheel is 1 1/2 thick and is 8 1/8 on the outside diameter it also has a "C" stamped on top wwhere the rods come thru now this wheel has a "6" stamped on the bottom 180 deg. from the "C" there is also a 150 stamped on the side along with a "T" stamped in the same area as on the other wheel along with a "H" and "D" there is NO casting #150 30 H as shown in the books or photos that I have seen.

Again there is NO cast numbers on either wheel only stamped numbers and letters

Are they VL wheels

Chuck, I would email Steve Slocombe, I am sure he would be able to help you.

Comment

Hi Chuck, I wrote you yesterday about contacting Steve Slocombe. I checked an extra motor I have, with engine numbers starting with# 30V on the right case. The larger fly wheel has no letters or numbers stamped that I can see, it does have the casting number 15030J on it. The diameter and thickness is the same as yours. There is it looks like a timing mark right by the hole for the rod. The smaller one does have the C stamped in it in the same location as yours and has a 6 stamped to the right of it. The diameter and thickness is the same. I also noticed on the bigger one it looks like the letters vc casted in it. I hope this helps you. Anyother questions fell free to ask me. I have a 1930 VC that I finished restoring 3 years ago. I drive the bike all the time weather permitting. It is a blast to drive and the other bikers love looking at it. Mike

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mike I have contacted Steve about this sounds like that the flywheels are the earlier type as I said all the markings are stamped in the wheels there are no casting numbers at all like I have seen on others in photos or on e-bay
        I want to be sure that what I have belongs to the motor it also
        Looks like I may be going the cast piston route with them

Comment

Working...
        X