Eclipse Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse Clutch

Need disassembly advice on eclipse clutch, 1913 Pope Model K.
    Trying to remove the main hub shaft and bearings from the spool. Is the clutch basket (in which the plates position) threaded into the spool, if so left or right handed thread? Thanks in advance
    johnny

Ain't life Grand! After several hours of trying to disassemble I had just about decided it wasn't going to peacefully come apart. Luckily for me a few buddies with more intelligence than i had been helping, and their focus took the simple path rather than my "its got to be complicated" approach. What i thought was the back side of the inner bearing race was actually a retainer. Upon removing the retainer we found a small notch in the hub and the spool which upon lining these up, the bearings will come out one at a time. Same process for the outer bearing and its apart to be preped for the plater. I have documented with lots of photo's if anyone every needs them. johnny

Comment

Hi Johnny, didn't know you had a Pope, would love to see some pics. I've found that the complicated stuff usually works itself out when I put on my reading glasses and can get a good look at what I'm working on....I don't go into the garage without them now......lol

Louie

Comment

Yes Louie, the Pope is in Mississippi!
        Don't have a clue how to attach pix to this site so e-mailed you a couple. Your right about the glasses. I have been so amazed in disassembling this bike. Its the first project i've done in which everything is there and in very good condition. Knowing what i do now i could have basically ran it as purchased. We split the cases out of my concern of the unknown. Doing cosmetics and putting the engine back togather now. After some of the previous bikes i've done, this one might get boring its going so smooth.
        johnny

Comment

Thanks for the pics...I'll try to post for you......

Louie
          Attached Files

Comment

Pic #2.........

Louie
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Louie!
              Hope some of the early iron enthusiast will enjoy taking a look at them. I'm really enjoying my first "teens" project, and can't wait to take it for a spin! johnny

Comment

Sweet!!! The older the better I always say...........

Comment

I just got into my 14 excelsior belt clutch, tring to figure out what pieces I am missing. does anyone have an exploded view of clutch??? any one have a clutch apart to provide photos???

I have the photos from a parts book but they are not shown in placement order.

can anyone help ?????

thanks in advance

aka HAWG

Comment

Is the clutch an eclipse? If so i should be able to help. I have a copy (barely legible) of an expanded parts list for 1911, '12, and '13 eclipse clutches. I also have photo's of mine for assembly.
                    E-mail me at jwhitsett@irs2.cc johnny

Comment

thanks

yes the clutch is eclipse

I have sent you an email

aka HAWG

Comment

Anybody got an extra eclipse wanna sell? If so, let me no.

Comment

Hey Martin,

You never contacted me.

I know somebody who has a couple eclipse clutches.

Comment

eclips clutch

I have taken my eclips clutch to bits to photograph for someone , if anyone would like copies send me an email , there are 16 pics and too much to put on here , my email is kenlinuk@yahoo.com , mine is fitted to my 1912 Excelsior 4B belt drive single , happy riding , Ken
                            they are on a zip file so hope they can be opened ok

Comment

very informative pictures - are great to have
                              thanks ken

Comment

Working...
                              X