Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on Chouts?

Hey all,

I've had this demented notion lately of getting into a Chout project. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts and or stories on these crazy machines........... Thanks!!!

I built a chout in the early 80's. I had a '46 chief motor that had the front part of the timing case cut off and I got a rolling 101 scout chassis that had been a wall of death bike. The 101 stuff came from Puckett's shop in Orlando. Puckett's was the Harley dealer for many years in Orlando and they had tons of everything good and interesting. The 101 pile was in the back corner of the yard and fully hidden by tall weeds and small trees. I spent a Saturday morning doing yard work to extract one frame, 3 forks, a gas tank, and lots of wheels. All of the tires were shiney smooth on one side and full tread on the other side.

I had to remove the rear motor mount to fit the engine in the frame. I had a 4 speed Harley trans that I wanted to use so I made a tranny plate with a bracket that bolted to the rear of the chief engine. I had a 21' rim on the front and an 18" rim on the rear. Somehow it all fit together but that was as far as I got. I remember being stumped about where to put the oil tank and how to mount Suzuki disk brakes. I bought a house at that time and the project went to a friend in South Florida. I saved the piece I had cut off the frame and his intention was to put a 101 together. Oddly enough, he did a deal with another friend of mine and the pile came back to Orlando. Of coarse that guy eventually did his own deal for some 4 cyl. stuff and I think it all went to Indiana. Good riddance.

I apologize to all of the 101 fans out there and can assure you I would never do something like that today.

Comment

Thanks for the story eric! I should clarify that I wouldn't be hacking up any orginal parts as the damage has already been done by another source I've said before in other posts that to hack up the original old stuff is a sin in my opinion, but if it's already been done then what is one to do? I'm just mulling this whole thing over in my head and I think it could be a fun little scoot!

Comment

I've always thought that a great bike I would like to build would be a ridged frame leaf-spring Chief chassis (the sweetest handling Antique M.C. around) with mag wheels, disc brakes running both off of the rear master cyl., a foot-clutch and a 4-speed rear belt Evo Sportster powerplant. Stock Indian tanks and bars with bobbed rear and no front fender. Naturally I would have to call it a Chiefster.

Comment

Danny, a good frame for that would be a big chief frame from the 20's. I had a stock '24 big chief and the frame was lighter than the later frames and had a minimum of garbage on it. Plus, the big chief frame will readily accept the late cheif motor and trans combo without any hacking. I don't know how the sportser motor compares to a chief for overall length but I would think there would be plenty of room for a sportster motor. The only downside to this is, big chief stuff is very scarce. But then, what isn't these days.

Comment

Working...
          X