The "DuPont Rule"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "DuPont Rule"

I'm new to the forum but I've been an AMCA member since 1992 when I began restoring a basket '40 Indian 4. The bike made Senior 1st in '96 and I've been enjoying the heck out of it since and continuing to upgrade as better parts and knowledge become available.

I've heard lots of "parking lot chatter" about the "DuPont Rule" for Indians. Basically it goes like this: Indian sales lit has the line "special colors at extra cost" - I quoting my original 1940 sales brochure. Some say that this means that the factory would paint your machine any color currently in the DuPont catalog for the year of the machine in question.

Does anyone have a definitive read on this?

I'm also going to post this on the "paint" forum.

I don't have the definitive, but that was my understanding on the paint situation............. Someone knows for sure I can guarantee that

Comment

Nice 4 by the way!!!!

Comment

you have it exactly right, if the color was a DuPont color available in that year, it could be ordered from the factory on a new bike
        Kevin

Comment

OK - Thanks for the information.

Now, while we're on the subject of Indian paint, I have heard conflicting opinions about "two color" paint for 1940. I've even seen a 1940 Sport Scout done "bumble bee" black/yellow on the judging field.

Once again, is there a definitive read on this?

Thanks again!

Comment

"BUMBLE BEE" might be pushing it a bit far, I hope this was a period modified bike
            Kevin

Comment

not sure - I think it was at Oley a couple of years ago.

Bumble Bee aside, what the skinny on "two tone" jobs for 1940 modela?

Comment

I think that the two-tone option was an acceptable practice. I remember seeing a two-tone Sport Scout, a few years older mind you, but it was the black and yellow scheme as well and was original paint.

Comment

Working...
                X