Oil Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pumps

OK guys, I've been sorting through my parts stash and find that I now have enough junk to put a shovelhead motor together. I have a set of alternator style cases and a '68 oil pump. I know that late pumps were a popular swap for early engines but what about going the other way? It sure looks like it will work.

Kojak!

I know little of late cases, but I do know they varied at the pump holes.

No matter what sage advice you get, you must still carefully compare every hole on the the pump,.. to the gasket,... to the cases, and trace their origins and exits .
    By that time, you have answered your own question, as no one else can,.. through a computer anyway.

Adapting the cases is yet another question (beyond my feeble memory, which has been clouded by S&S pumps).

....Cotten

Comment

The pump and oiling system changed in 73. The 68 oiled the primary thru the oil pump. The cone motor sort of oils thru the
      cases. This might be a good time to look at an S&S pump.
      VPH-D

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. The more I looked at this situation, the more confusing it got. My Harley parts book shows all the internal parts being the same from '68 untill '80, along with the covers. However, it has a listing for a complete pump that fits '68 to '73 and another for '81 and up but nothing in between. The main differences in small parts seem to be for the rear chain oiler. The primary chains all oil thru the pump. Harley went to a "full flow" crank oiling system in '73 that allowed the crank to have constant oil flow thru the end of the pinion shaft but the big difference seems to be in the cam cover and pinion shaft. Another source, the book "What fits what", claims there were 3 different pump bodies used between '68 and late '73. S&S does an excellent job of describing the differences in crankcase oil passages in their installation instructions; (http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/d...ls/oilpump.pdf). No doubt, the easiest and safest solution would be to use the S&S pump and drill the extra holes as needed.

Comment

Working...
        X