Cplor - 1947 FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cplor - 1947 FL

I was at the Oley meet last week and noticed a 1947 FL that was painted Cruiser Green. This is odd for two reasons. First, prior to 1947, that color was last offerred around 1940/1941 and was definately NOT a standard color for 1947. Second, I noted that the machine in question had recently won an AMCA junior rating (Plaque was mounted on the bike). I spoke to the Owner and he informed me that the judges did NOT deduct points when judging the bike, but simply noted question marks on the form next to 'color'.

I am told that any previous factory color offered could usually be obtained from the factory on a new bike as a 'custom' color. However, as per Palmer, the factory clearly stated 'custom colors unlikely' in their 1947 literature.

Given the above, can I paint my 1953 FL and/or 1947 FL ANY previous factory color without suffering point loss? If not, how did this bike rate a junior award ??

Colors

I saw for the second time two origonal paint knuckles both Flight Red although that offering does not show on the 46 Dealer order blank I have All I hear are unconfimed explanations . Also in a copy of a 48 parts page there are part numbers for replacement mud guards with the standard color oferings the it asks OTHER. Interesting ,yes ??? JP

Comment

John...

There were two dealer order blanks for 1946. The first one, which was marked in the top left corner: F-404--46 states the available colors were Gray or Red. The second order blank marked: F-404--46A states the available colors are Skyway Blue, Flight Red, Police Silver.
      Palmer's book also makes note of this on page 569.

Bruce

Comment

Bill, If it was me Id paint it any color I wanted ! If you loose a few points..so be it youve got what YOU want! I have a 1947 in flight red but 1947 is a strange year, I have a copy of a factory paper stating because they were still shuy of certain materials some parts would come through painted while later runs of the same part maybe chrome,i have a feeling if you wanted a certain color you got it,anything to get the sale! fast forward 50+ years to the V-Rods when the initial offerings of silver didnt sell well the dealers painted them to suit your wants,now fast forward 50+ years and how many know-it-alls will judge this MC wrong????I feel Palmers book is good but should not be taken as the whole truth! (Im sure Ill get heat for this !!!) Enjoy what you have and what other people dont like well just tooooo bad

Comment

I was told that The gentlman with the Cruiser green 46 lost 6 points.I hope thats not the case . I have a Spring 51 order blank stamped with the offering of Spring green and a 57 spring order blank offering Nugget Gold. At some point the factory must have stopped making different order blanks in favor of rubber stamps. BEK can I swap a copy of one of my order blanks for one of yours? In the case of a special color I include these in the order to keep the owner from loosing 6 points. ( PS thats the A order blank) Thanks JP

Comment

order blank

John...

I'm sorry to say I don't have the 46A order blank anymore. I found the blank at a swap meet when I restored a very late 1946 Servi-car. It showed that it could be painted Flight Red and helped me get the bike into the Winner's Circle at 99 points. I sold the bike last year and the order blank went with it. The owner has since moved and I don't know how to reach him.

Bruce

Comment

Gentlemen,

As always, I thank you for your informative and helpful responses.

John, I was told by the owner of the cruiser green '47 at Oley that he did not lose points. He stated that the judge placed a '?' next to the color box on the judging form. Most likely, you know more than I do about the outcome at this point. From what yu state, I would assume that a determination was made, and not in his favor. By the way, I was not aware that you were at Oley, otherwise I would have looked you up. I have many questions for you.

INLINE4NUT - I agree with your thinking. The color should be the color you want, and points-be damned. BUT....bieng an Engineer, the anal part of me makes that decision quite difficult, although I would really love another color on the machine.

But I do believe that an honest arguement can be made here. 1947 most certainly was a tranitional year for h-D. They were in-the-pink financially, and even more so as the year progressed and sales increased.

As time passed after the war, more and more materials became available. It seems logical that by mid-year, custom color orders would be honored by the factory, despite the sales brochure information. However, the November '48 Enthusiast also offers the admonishment. If anyone can substantiate or disprove that custom colors (colors offered in previous years) were available in '47 I would love to hear before I make my color decision.

This all may be wishful thinking on my part, but note the following: Palmer, page 572 through 574 shows no factory indication of chrome 16" rims. But the factory photos on those pages clearly shows them as options and Plamer annotates that fact in the picture caption on page 574 (top). I would love to know if the 18" rims were also available in chrome in 1947as well, as I plan to run 18" rims.

I am told that chrome taillight housings and possibly dash covers were also available as options - but I'm not sure.

If the above is true, why not 'custom' colors??

Bill Pedalino

Comment

If you intend to have the '47 judged, you will need to be aware of the distinction of "being available" (as in the Parts and Accessories catalog) and "being original" to the motorcycle. As is the case with the late-model Chromosexuals, H-D has always offered parts with extra glitter over the counter. However, as noted in the book The Legend Begins , the order blanks delineate what is available for the motorcycle from the factory and that is what you are judged against. If you can find clear-cut documentation to justify the little extra piece as being original to that year motorcycle as delivered from the factory, you will need to present that with your bike for judging.
                As noted in the earlier replies to the original thread, there are more than one version of the order blanks for different years. When choosing a color to paint my '50 FL several years ago, I referenced an original order blank at the American Classic Motorcycle Museum in Asheboro, NC which listed a $12.50 extra cost color of Burgundy, the same as the '49 color. Several so-called authorities have tried to dispute this, but I saw it with my own two eyes but have never seen another anywhere else. We matched the color to an original can of H-D paint so I know its right. If I ever intended to have it judged (never will), I would need to supply a copy of that original blank I was told.
                Good luck and go for the Flight Red.
                Lonnie

Comment

Lonnie,

Thanks so much for your response. What you stated makes sense - but too many flight red 47's around. I'll go for the blue on my '47 and the metallic green for my '53 !

Bill

Comment

Bill, If at all possible would you be so kind to post a pic of the blue 47 when done? I have a 47 FL with Goulding hack in FlightRed and Id love to see the Blue paint bet it will be beautiful ! Thanks

Comment

You can't go wrong with the blue - even though red was an option for me also, I chose to repaint my '48 the correct Azure Blue.
                      Lonnie

Comment

Working...
                      X